PDA

View Full Version : Military Tire Strap

Jim-ME
03-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Can someone show me a picture of how a military tire strap is mounted?
Thanks,
Jim

jac04
03-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Here are a few pics.

Whiterabbit
03-08-2012, 10:59 AM
I've been trying to figgure out where to get one. Does it mount to the hoop in the center of the tire mount also? I've seen some Military restoration supply sites have strapping but nothing for British vehicles.

jac04
03-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Does it mount to the hoop in the center of the tire mount also?
No, it doesn't. It just mounts to the hood with 3 brackets as shown. The rear 2 brackets go through a loop in the end of the strap, and the front attaches to the bracket with a metal hook.

The strap uses an over-center buckle to tighten it.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1058.jpg

When I bought my Lightweight, it had a new Genuine tire strap fitted. However, the over-center buckle was improperly installed on the strap. Once I figured this out, I disassembled it, took it to a local upholstery shop, and had them sew it back together properly.

Check with RN, they may have the straps available as a Proline part.

SafeAirOne
03-08-2012, 03:18 PM
The rear 2 brackets go through a loop in the end of the strap, and the front attaches to the bracket with a metal hook.

Just to clarify the last pic..Are those two aft straps sewn permanently around the footman loops so the strap is non-removeable?

BTW, I have the equipment to make just about any kind of custom straps or cargo nets using just any small-quantity webbing and hardware out there if somebody needs something custom-built.

Moose
03-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Just to clarify the last pic..Are those two aft straps sewn permanently around the footman loops so the strap is non-removeable?.

Correct. Once the footman loops are riveted on, the strap is there to stay.

Brett

TeriAnn
03-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Correct. Once the footman loops are riveted on, the strap is there to stay.

Or you could do like I did and use screws so the straps can be removed for replacement.

A friend bought a new strap from RN about 5 years ago and the buckle was on upside down as well. Hopefully they still are not making them with upside down buckles.

jac04
03-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Or you could do like I did and use screws so the straps can be removed for replacement.
On my vehicle, the brackets were held on by screws from the factory.

SafeAirOne
03-09-2012, 02:59 PM
On my vehicle, the brackets were held on by screws from the factory.

OK...that's not so bad then. I was thinking they were riveted or spot welded on. That would stink.

yorker
03-09-2012, 03:03 PM
what size are the footman loops?

Moose
03-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I said riveted. Sorry. My footman loops are attached with machine screws.

Brett

RoverForm
03-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Here are a few pics.
is that spare a 16" or 17", if 17" do you have the bumpers on bonnet? and if so, did you have to move them out a bit to fit the larger wheel?

jac04
03-10-2012, 06:28 AM
^^ 16". The bumpers line up with the wheel, but the wheel doesn't sit directly on them because I'm running slightly wider tires than the original spec.

RoverForm
03-10-2012, 09:01 PM
^^ 16". The bumpers line up with the wheel, but the wheel doesn't sit directly on them because I'm running slightly wider tires than the original spec.
so then is the tire rub mucking up the paint?

my new spare is a 17 and the side wall radius is wider
than the bumper so the tire sits atop the bonnet.

I have a decent set of spare bumpers so I'm thinking of
adding them.

jac04
03-11-2012, 08:43 AM
so then is the tire rub mucking up the paint?
Nope. I've had the spare off and the paint looks fine

my new spare is a 17
You sure about that? If you're running a 17" wheel, I'd enjoy seeing some pictures of the set-up and what tire size you are running.

...and the side wall radius is wider
This is very typical. Most people run a wider tire than original.

I have a decent set of spare bumpers so I'm thinking of adding them.
I've tried that before, but it seems to just end up with a 'wobbly' spare on the bonnet.

TeriAnn
03-11-2012, 10:24 AM
my new spare is a 17 and the side wall radius is wider

I did not get the message. When it someone start making 17 inch wheels for Series trucks????????

I thought they were all either 15 or 16 inch wheels?

Wha happened?? :confused: