PDA

View Full Version : question on setting timing...

CRiordan01
03-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Hi all,

Question on setting timing. What do the different timing pointers represent? I believe the top pointer represents TDC...but what Degrees do the two pointers immediately underneath
Represent? And also the pointer at the very bottom (after the valley)? Haven't been able to find the answer on any threads...sorry if this is a repetitive question. I have a2.25 petrol and I know optimal setting is 6 degrees...just not sure where that is...

Thanks.

stomper
03-08-2012, 02:05 PM
The other marks are for 6 DBTDC and 6 DATDC.

CRiordan01
03-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Just to clarify, is the order the top pointer = TDC, the second pointer 6 DBTDC and the third pointer 6DATC? Does the 4th pointer at the very bottom represent anything? I wasn't able to find this in the LR Series III technical handbook...

stomper
03-08-2012, 05:41 PM
The middle pointer is TDC. The one on the left is 6 DBTDC, and the one on the right is 6 DATDC. Why bother though. Time it by ear. Do a search for the beer method. there are lots of reasons not to trust the timing marks with the changes in fuel octane measurements, and the addition of ethanol.

solihull109
03-08-2012, 06:08 PM
just an fyi Make sure your coil is 100%, your plugs are set with the right gap and wires are in good shape. Verify condition of the distributor, and set the gap correctly. Otherwise you'll be chasing your tail using the beer method.:)

CRiordan01
03-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Replaced all of it (a result of Margaret cutting out on me whilst on the road...always fun with my wife and three dogs as passengers)...coil, condensor, points replaced and properly spaced. We managed to drop the nut for the points into the distributor and had to pull the entire thing to get it out. So now trying to reset the timing to the proper point and was not sure which marker to set timing to...have it currently set closer to the bottom marker (4th at the very bottom) but wasn't sure if that was overdoing it. Running very well right now but also don't want a backfire. Not terribly mechanical (if you haven't picked that up), but trying to learn!