PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifold replacement

bmohan55
03-08-2012, 12:40 PM
In finishing up my engine rebuild we cracked the exhaust manifold at the flange for the downpipe. Just ordered a new one from our hosts and i got to thinking, is it possible to only remove the exhaust part or is it best to remove the entire assembly? I know, I'm being lazy but the less I touch the less I break.

crankin
03-08-2012, 01:03 PM
In finishing up my engine rebuild we cracked the exhaust manifold at the flange for the downpipe. Just ordered a new one from our hosts and i got to thinking, is it possible to only remove the exhaust part or is it best to remove the entire assembly? I know, I'm being lazy but the less I touch the less I break.
The four bolts are very long (5 in.+) that pass through the intake manifold...and have a neat trick of rusting inside the intake manifold creating a fun time to be had by all when trying to remove. It almost "mates" to the intake.

When putting back together you will need to make sure that the exhaust seat correctly against the head without putting stress on the joints between the two. This is usually done by having the intake and exhaust both lose, tighten against the head, and then tighten the intake and exhaust.

So, long...long, answer...you should remove both. Replace your gasket on both...

bmohan55
03-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Makes sense, thank you.

jac04
03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Also make sure not to over-tighten the hardware. Check the green bible - IIRC the torque is only around 10 ft-lbs

Max(SD)
03-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Since we talking exhaust manifold, has anyone had any experience with british Northwest Rover Co's Tri-y headers?

rejeep
03-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Since we talking exhaust manifold, has anyone had any experience with british Northwest Rover Co's Tri-y headers?

yeah...
tried to order one for almost a month...
I dont know whats going on over there but Charles always had a reason why he didnt run my card or take the order..

I finally just gave up.

mrdoiron
03-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Just an fyi for anyone interested... I took the exhaust manifolds off my 61 hybrid (has 3.5L RR engine) to replace gaskets, and a guy recommended cleaning them up by getting a ceramic coating... a local Powder coating company sand blasted both manifolds, plus the pipes to the muffler - and ceramic coated in a "chrome" finish option - all for $300. Looks great, and the ceramic chrome doesn't discolor like traditional chrome finish... enclosed pic of one.

mike