PDA

View Full Version : Series 2 88" Rear Seating

MICHAELS2
05-09-2007, 08:09 AM
OK Rover is all restored, "Kids have been patient". Can anyone give
direction on selection/installation/ etc. on rear seating for children for
an 88" series? Currently I have purchased Venture mini van seat and
getting ready to modify. I see some fold-up's for sale in Rovers Intl. magazine. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Mike

scott
05-09-2007, 12:07 PM
i'm thinking 4 disco jumps seat or what was originally in there, 2 folding bench seat

Jeff Aronson
05-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Needless to say, safety standards for rear seating have changed over the decades. When seat belt laws took effect in the US, Series III Land Rovers put seat belts anchorages in the rear of those models. If you had the folding bench seat, you got two belts on each side. The earlier jump seats that came on the station wagons did not even have seat belts.

The '90's Defenders and Discoverys could still have rear jump seats as long as there were seat belts, too. The latest European standards do not permit side facing jump seats, but require them to face forward.

The folding bench is the easiest to install. You are drilling location holes in the bed and through the top rail from the inside.

If you install seat belts, you'll also need to install a steel plate for the anchorages. When you do, you'll want to insulate it from the alloy sides so that you don't encourage corrosion.

Jeff

MICHAELS2
05-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Dreaded galvanic action...
I am familiar with that white powder..:(

Regarding the seats. I have 2 boys 5 & 3 years old.
Oldest in booster seat and youngest in full safety seat.

I am thinking of making a purchase of the exmoor foward
facing buckets w/integrated seat belt. BUT the price is very
"Salty" approx. $800.00 ea.

I still think I could fabricate something just as good. I am just
confused on safety criteria.

DAP sells Foward facing (not suitable for childeren) Is this because of the non locking backrest??? If this is the case I am motivated to modify
Venture van seats (partially seatbelt complete)

My next hurdle would be to have a seatbelt anchor point stratagy.

Thanks for your input any other input / ideas are appreaciated.

Mike

jp-
05-11-2007, 01:24 PM
I think it would be ok to mention that your best bet for seating is going to be to get a 109".

It makes perfect sense to me. I'm sure the wife would understand also.:D

Never miss a chance to add to the collection.:thumb-up:

graniterover
05-13-2007, 07:19 PM
A rear bench seat from a cj7 fits, has mounting points in the seat frame, and most come with setbelts already attached.

You can find them for 100 bucks used in perfect shape on jeep boards.

I have two little kids and I belt the kids child seats right to that seat.

Mercedesrover
05-13-2007, 08:40 PM
If you install seat belts, you'll also need to install a steel plate for the anchorages. When you do, you'll want to insulate it from the alloy sides so that you don't encourage corrosion.

Jeff

No reason they have to be steel. A thick plate of strong alloy would be fine too.

jim

MICHAELS2
05-14-2007, 06:54 AM
I like the 109 purchase Idea, "The 109 for the family use and the 88 for the personal back and forth to work use"

I may entertain the jeep seats. If I fabricate I will post the pictures if
there is interest.:thumb-up:

Thanks for you help Rover enthusiasts.

archaeologistjen
05-14-2007, 12:07 PM
A rear bench seat from a cj7 fits, has mounting points in the seat frame, and most come with setbelts already attached.

I would love to see a pic of that installed in a Series. I've been thinking about the same issue, as we have 3 vintage LRs, and a baby on the way. My husband and I were just thinking we'd have to keep the kid out of the old vehicles for several years for safety's sake, but I am interested in any alternatives for child seating options.

Tim Smith
05-15-2007, 10:46 PM
I bought some slightly used Corbeau racing harnesses off of a friend to upgrade my own front seat safety and would recommend them very highly. A bit over kill but but much better than the static non retracting belts currently in there. I haven't fitted them yet, but can tell that it will be a breeze. Just need to make sure I use a heavy steel backer plate to mount them to.

Let the kids sit on milk boxes if need be but strap them in with the best seat belt system you can.

I also bought some side folding front facing rear seats for my 88. These would prove a challenge to integrate any belting system to but I'll figure something out. The jeep seats would probably be the easiest route but I like having a load bay at the flip of a seat.

And besides, the only time any one sits in the back of my truck is when it's in low range.