PDA

View Full Version : Rovers are too wide for twoing dolleys?

WilsBoar
03-12-2012, 07:26 PM
I feel violated. U-haul just charged me $370 for a car carrier because my Rover is too wide for a car dolley. Really? I guess she will have a nice ride from VA to NC. Possibly the fastest she will ever go down the road too.

SafeAirOne
03-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Not too wide, but sometimes the straps don't fit over the 16" wheels very well depending on the tire that's mounted. I believe they have a list of approved vehicles and ancient Rovers don't appear on the list.

I generally hit the U-haul website ahead of time and see what vehicles are approved and "tow" one of those vehicles.

Broadstone
03-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I move them on a dolly with no problem, I do remove the rear prop shaft.. The key is to tell them you are towing a honda accord and they do not get nosey.

o2batsea
03-12-2012, 07:33 PM
WHuuUT? I'll say you were violated. Last time I moved a Rover it was my 1990 RRC I just picked it up on a dolly, no problems. Un hook rear drive shaft and hang with wire. $30 from United Rentals for 1/2 day. If they ask tell 'em it's a yugo. like they give a schmidt.

masonater
03-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Thats a shame because they fit just fine. I used the dolly one way 1000 miles and then the auto transport trailer the way back. I hated the trailer, so heavy but i was towing my 109 with a grand cherokee v8 which was not the best rig for it. I had to tell them a white lie and assume the risk but it was worth it. I said i had a smart car i was towing with a dodge dually. You will need larger tire straps if you are running anything larger than stock.

WilsBoar
03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Well, I hope this is the only time I have to move her like this. It will be a 5-6 hour ride so maybe it is worth the piece of mind. Thanks all.

yorker
03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Land Rovers are one of the most narrow vehicles out there so that was just nonsense they fed you.

Whiterabbit
03-12-2012, 09:24 PM
I had to tow a "mid 70s jeep CJ5" to get UHurl to rent me a trailer for 50 bucks a day local. Tons of room but the straps barely went over the stock 16" tires.

jp-
03-12-2012, 10:33 PM
You can let some air out of the tires and the straps will fit every time, no problemo.

LR Max
03-13-2012, 08:08 AM
I generally hit the U-haul website ahead of time and see what vehicles are approved and "tow" one of those vehicles.

X2. Dunno how many times my mom's 2001 Buick Regal has been towed, but that is what the paperwork says :D

From experience, a series truck is NOT too wide for a tow dolly. As others have said, sometimes the tires are too big for the straps but there are work arounds for that.

For one way rentals, I like Penske. They seem to have very good equipment. For local rentals (return to the same shop) the U-haul places have very nice stuff but their one-way rental equipment always seems like crap.

3 weeks ago I rented a nice little u-haul trailer to move a desk. It was the ONLY time I've ever gotten a u-haul that didn't have toasted bearings or crappy this or crappy that. I talked to the owner and he said, "Oh that is MY trailer, we take care of OUR equipment." So I guess if that trailer is for local use only, they take good care of it.

masonater
03-13-2012, 08:20 AM
For one way rentals, I like Penske. They seem to have very good equipment. For local rentals (return to the same shop)

The only issue with Penske is you cannot rent a trailer and tow with your own vehicle, it must be used with penske truck as well. I wish i could have rented one, they are aluminum (IIRC) and much nicer than the heavy steel Uhaul auto transports.

I remember hearing some people have rented a Uhaul or Penske trucks and used a loading dock to actually drive the rover inside the truck. Not sure if that was rumor or even remotely safe, but sure pretty cool.

Billy5
03-15-2012, 10:40 AM
I would feel violated too. I towed my 88 back from Fort Wayne IN. to Long Island in a tow dolly from UHaul. The only problem they gave me was their concern over the weight of the rover and the ability of my Uncles truck to tow it. But after a little search on their own site, they came up with 29xx pounds so we were good to go. Everything handled fine. Every stop we made for coffee etch.. we checked everything. You will however, will need to tie the steering wheel so the wheels can't turn. Otherwise it could pop off the dolly. And yes, disconnect the driveshaft from the rear diff. Good luck.
Bill:)

msggunny
03-15-2012, 11:51 AM
With towing my SIII the Penske trailer i used was almost too wide for it. The front tires were up against both of the rails on the inside.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/msggunny/0d0114a4-2.jpg

Not the greatest picture, but you get the idea.

O, take your soft top off before you tow....