PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem

neifert2006
03-12-2012, 08:30 PM
I recently bought a 03 Discovery. I've never owned a Land Rover, but was in the market for a used vehicle and thought this would be the perfect off road truck after I get it paid off. My question is, every so often when I put the keys into ignition the hazards start blinking on their own. The starter doesn't turn over, I get nothing. But if I lock the doors with the remote and then unlock them and try again the flashers don't come on and the truck starts. Has anybody heard of this or nowhat causes this.

bkreutz
03-13-2012, 03:51 PM
This is showing that your security system is not being disabled before attempting to start. Are you opening the doors with the key or the remote? I've also seen the sensor in the door latch (for the alarm) start to go flaky and cause this.

neifert2006
03-13-2012, 09:20 PM
I always lock and unlock the doors with the remote. The back door doesn't lock with remote or the switch in the dash. I think that is a separate issue thou.

bkreutz
03-13-2012, 11:41 PM
You could try unlocking with the key and see if the same thing happens but it sounds like when the doors are unlocking the security system is not seeing the unlock signal every time and thinks someone is trying to steal the truck. Cycling the locks like you did will resend the signal. We had so many problems with the security systems when I worked at the dealer we would disable the factory alarm and just use the remotes for unlocking and locking the doors. (disabling the security system is not a simple thing, it requires reprogramming the ECU)

neifert2006
03-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks for info, it sheds some light on things because before I stumbled onto the door lock I was thinking neutral safety switch. Will the dealer disable the security system, and is it costly?

bkreutz
03-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Yes the dealer is the way to go, LR issued a disc just for that purpose (but wouldn't come out and admit they actually had a problem:eek:) IIRC the dealer I used to work for charged the customer about $100 to do it. But my memory has been getting flaky since I retired, not a big deal to do, it just takes the software and Testbook (LR's proprietary computer system)