PDA

View Full Version : best flare

siii8873
03-13-2012, 06:03 AM
as part of a dual brake conversion I'm relocating my clutch reservoir. To do so I need to shorten the supply pipe to the clutch master.
I am shortening the reservoir side. Which is the most compatable flare a bubble or double?
Bob

siiirhd88
03-13-2012, 10:52 AM
That depends on what fitting your existing master cylinder has.... The bubble flare would seal onto an inward taper, and the double would seal onto an outward taper. Look into the port where the fitting attaches to check the existing taper, or look at the old fitting.

If you could see inside the master from the side the \ / shape would take the bubble flare, with the bubble sealing on the inside of the V, and the / \ would take the double flare, with the double flare sealing on the outside of the V. On both the fitting would enter from the top.

I've seen both types on masters and on brake wheel cylinders.

Bob

as part of a dual brake conversion I'm relocating my clutch reservoir. To do so I need to shorten the supply pipe to the clutch master.
I am shortening the reservoir side. Which is the most compatable flare a bubble or double?
Bob

I Leak Oil
03-13-2012, 11:22 AM
You should be able to figure out any of your questions by looking here: http://fedhillusa.com/

siii8873
03-13-2012, 01:31 PM
the side I'm adjusting the length on is the side that connects to the reservoir not the Master cylinder. I'll look at that and see what shape.
That was a very good description using the \ / and / \ !

siii8873
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
I went with a double flare. I borrowed a flare set from a friend made a few test flares and then the one on the pipe. It came out great! I returned the tool. I got home and a DUH came to mind, I didn't put the fitting on first. Gotta love it.

4flattires
03-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Great lesson learned...eh? We have all been there, some whooops are a bit more 'spensive than others though. Yours was cheap. :thumb-up: