PDA

View Full Version : Emissions testing in NJ

mduark
03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
I have a 82 series 3 with a 200 TDI that I'll be taking in for emissions inspection tomorrow morning in NJ. Has anyone ran into problem with an old Rover and a 200 TDI in NJ before? Would like to be able to use it as a daily driver and don't want to hassle with worrying about driving around regularly with historical plates. Any help or experiences are welcome. Thanks, Mark Douglas 93 RRC LWB 49K 93 RRC LWB 195K Rusting away 82 Series III 118K 200 TDI 70 Series IIA beginning of frame off restoration

Skookumchuck
03-16-2012, 12:23 PM
is your Series a RHD or LHD. I am in the process of having a 200 TDI put into my 68 Series IIA. We are using a 300 TDI exaust manifold and turbo set up. Did you have any issues with the sterring box?

luckyjoe
03-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Currently NJ does not emission test passenger diesels. So you should be good to go as long as you do not show excessive visible soot/smoke.

SafeAirOne
03-16-2012, 01:36 PM
... you should be good to go as long as you do not show excessive visible soot/smoke.

Better get a good running start and coast it in the last tenth of a mile. :D

JohnOFromJersey
03-16-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm running a Perkins Prima diesel in my '71 in NJ and went round and round with a bunch of cop friends on this. There's an exemption for emissions inspections on PRE 1997 passenger diesels in NJ and now that Christie eliminated the safety portion of the inspection, you're scott free - no sticker required. I asked the guy at inspection "if" he could inspect my truck and he said no.

THat said I would strongly advise carrying around a copy of the DMV FAQ that states that pre-97 diesels are exempt. Police are not likely to know that and running sans-sticker can get you noticed. See bullet point 2 of the second paragraph of this FAQ. I'd carry it with your registration and insurance.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Inspections/FAQinspection.pdf

JO