PDA

View Full Version : Wishbone link (A-arm to axle ball) Disassembly

WilsBoar
03-17-2012, 04:05 PM
So,

My 109 sits on a new designa-chassis with a rear wishbone link (A-arm to axle ball). The castle nut was missing during transport and smoothed all the threats. Ordered a new axle ball joint but cannot get the old one out. Not sure it is supposed to come out. This is one solid piece of metal and I am not sure if it even comes apart. I think I see/feel a seam where it would separate and there are two bolts to make it seem it would come apart. Wondering if I needed to order a new fulcrum joint vice just the ball. Anyone have experience with replacing just the axle ball?

I think this whole assembly came out of a Disco 1. I might have to post something in that forum.

Pictures attached.

Derek

SafeAirOne
03-17-2012, 05:11 PM
It looks like a run-of-the-mill ball joint that just needs to be pressed out using a hydraulic press, though it might be a hiar trickier with that mounting flange in the way. Still no big deal. A machine shop will get that off for $5 while you wait.

WilsBoar
03-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks Mark. That might explain a comment from the mechanic when I had him order the part. He mentioned that it was not an easy job.

Thanks again. Derek

cgalpin
03-19-2012, 08:32 PM
It's an easy job if you cut the "ears" off before going to get it pressed out. That way they have a surface to press against.