• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WilsBoar
    Low Range
    • Dec 2010

Wishbone link (A-arm to axle ball) Disassembly

So,

My 109 sits on a new designa-chassis with a rear wishbone link (A-arm to axle ball). The castle nut was missing during transport and smoothed all the threats. Ordered a new axle ball joint but cannot get the old one out. Not sure it is supposed to come out. This is one solid piece of metal and I am not sure if it even comes apart. I think I see/feel a seam where it would separate and there are two bolts to make it seem it would come apart. Wondering if I needed to order a new fulcrum joint vice just the ball. Anyone have experience with replacing just the axle ball?

I think this whole assembly came out of a Disco 1. I might have to post something in that forum.

Pictures attached.

Derek
    1969 Series IIa 109
    She is ugly but she is mine...
  • SafeAirOne
    Overdrive
    • Apr 2008

It looks like a run-of-the-mill ball joint that just needs to be pressed out using a hydraulic press, though it might be a hiar trickier with that mounting flange in the way. Still no big deal. A machine shop will get that off for $5 while you wait.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• WilsBoar
      Low Range
      • Dec 2010

Thanks Mark. That might explain a comment from the mechanic when I had him order the part. He mentioned that it was not an easy job.

Thanks again. Derek
      1969 Series IIa 109
      She is ugly but she is mine...

Comment

• cgalpin
        Low Range
        • May 2010

It's an easy job if you cut the "ears" off before going to get it pressed out. That way they have a surface to press against.

Comment

Working...