PDA

View Full Version : Rattling?

canyonero
03-18-2012, 09:01 PM
About a week ago after a long for me, (20 miles) drive on the highway, I noticed a rattling at idle that has since become more noticeable while driving, but also more random. It sounds like a rolling, metallic clatter that seems to be located at the crank pulley, but I can't locate it absolutely. RPMs or speed don't seem to affect or influence it. I'll try to get a video/audio tomorrow and post it, but there isn't any power loss or overheating, so I don't want to make anything worse and hope it will be an easy fix.
Any thoughts?

Alk-3
03-18-2012, 09:06 PM
My alternator did something like this before I convertedto the pengolin bracket. Might be the problem.. Maybe your water pump? I use a tube, or part of a garden hose as a makeshift stethoscope to try to locate odd noises with good success.

canyonero
03-18-2012, 09:32 PM
My alternator did something like this before I convertedto the pengolin bracket. Might be the problem.. Maybe your water pump? I use a tube, or part of a garden hose as a makeshift stethoscope to try to locate odd noises with good success.
So, it could just be a loose or wonky bracket? I actually pulled on everything else and it all seemed tight, just not the alternator assembly, I'll try that in the morning.
Thanks.

east high
03-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Sounds like a water pump on its way out. Water pumps are cheap and easy to replace.

Momo
03-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Or it could be as simple as a body panel that has loosened and is vibrating. Check all the bolts on your radiator support, fan shroud, fenders and apron panel. For example I had a screw missing from my apron panel and the damn thing was clacking against the front frame crossmember. Sounded awful but completely benign.