X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • canyonero
    Low Range
    • Aug 2011

Rattling?

About a week ago after a long for me, (20 miles) drive on the highway, I noticed a rattling at idle that has since become more noticeable while driving, but also more random. It sounds like a rolling, metallic clatter that seems to be located at the crank pulley, but I can't locate it absolutely. RPMs or speed don't seem to affect or influence it. I'll try to get a video/audio tomorrow and post it, but there isn't any power loss or overheating, so I don't want to make anything worse and hope it will be an easy fix.
    Any thoughts?
    1973 Series III, 109, Ex-Mod
    1999 Discovery II, Cataclysmically Lost
  • Alk-3
    1st Gear
    • Mar 2009

My alternator did something like this before I convertedto the pengolin bracket. Might be the problem.. Maybe your water pump? I use a tube, or part of a garden hose as a makeshift stethoscope to try to locate odd noises with good success.

Comment

• canyonero
      Low Range
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Alk-3
      My alternator did something like this before I convertedto the pengolin bracket. Might be the problem.. Maybe your water pump? I use a tube, or part of a garden hose as a makeshift stethoscope to try to locate odd noises with good success.
      So, it could just be a loose or wonky bracket? I actually pulled on everything else and it all seemed tight, just not the alternator assembly, I'll try that in the morning.
      Thanks.
      1973 Series III, 109, Ex-Mod
      1999 Discovery II, Cataclysmically Lost

Comment

• east high
        3rd Gear
        • Jan 2008

Sounds like a water pump on its way out. Water pumps are cheap and easy to replace.
        '67 sIIa 88

Comment

• Momo
          3rd Gear
          • Dec 2006

Or it could be as simple as a body panel that has loosened and is vibrating. Check all the bolts on your radiator support, fan shroud, fenders and apron panel. For example I had a screw missing from my apron panel and the damn thing was clacking against the front frame crossmember. Sounded awful but completely benign.
          '60 SII Station Wagon
          '64 SIIA 109 Regular
          '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon

Comment

Working...