PDA

View Full Version : I give up, Series ownership not for me.

bmohan55
03-19-2012, 09:05 AM
My engine rebuild is done,all I had to to was hook up the headlights and then it was complete. As I dropped the bonnet down the prop snagged on the hot lead for the headlights (which were on) and by the time I smelled the smoke the wiring harnes was a melted mess!

I plan on buying a stock harness from our hosts here, I assume it is a straightforward replacement. Any tips out there someone can offer for this process.

Look for my truck in the for sale section once I get pictures and discription of all work done.

Thanks for all the help I received from this board.

Bob

Cutter
03-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Major bummer, give the pain and anger time to subside and then decide what you want to do...

jonnyc
03-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Don't give up, when they're running they are a true pleasure to drive.

mrdoiron
03-19-2012, 01:37 PM
...As I dropped the bonnet down the prop snagged on the hot lead for the headlights (which were on) and by the time I smelled the smoke the wiring harnes was a melted mess!...

Bob

Well, I can truly empathize, and completely understand the feeling. I had fully completed a restore on a S3 lightweight, and only had to replace the final piece after stripping and repainting... the license plate light. And while I actually had installed a battery cut off switch 'for quick jobs', it was not flipped to off when i manage to short the new license light to the body, and after getting a large spark I slapped the bulb out to break circuit. while corralling the small 24v light bulb parts to a small pile with my foot - i thought my worst problem was finding a replacement 24v bulb, when I smelt something funny and looked up, to see smoke from front of the truck in the firewall area....the melted through the wire harness a path end-end.

Walk away for a day. Come back again with a new harness... series ownership is more about the journey.

It is fairly straight forward, but would help for someone to help that is familiar with basic auto wiring / routing etc...

good luck.

SafeAirOne
03-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Ha! I'm on the 8th or 9th time I said "I'm done with Series Rovers!"

Actually, I used different words, but they have pretty good naughty language filters on this board or else it'd look something like this:

********* ******* piece of ****. That's it! You *********! I'm *******...

Well, you get the idea.

Don't make the mistake I usually do and tell your wife that you're getting rid of the Rover. She may try and hold you to it every time, like mine does.

Skookumchuck
03-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Don't give up. It will mean more when it's done for the effort.

Jim-ME
03-20-2012, 04:54 AM
I think we have all been where you are right now and some of us more than once. I hope you change your mind but I fully understand if you don't.
Jim

smukai
03-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Hang in there brother. I'm 12 years into giving up on my Land Rover. Yet our relationship continues to soldier on, much to the chagrin of my wife and parents.

They truly are great vehicles.

Walk away for a day, a week or whatever it takes, when you come back, you will be in a much better place.

cedryck
03-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Sure you have suffered a set back. But don't get outside of yourself.:nono: Take time to collect a new harness, study the diagram, and set back to work, when you are done you will have a great story to tell. I heard about Jeff coming back from a long trip when his long wheel base caught fire on the highway. Burned pretty bad. People rallied giving parts to him, and support as well. I have had plenty of times I paused, and took a deep breath as well. Hope it works out. Cheers. :D

amcordo
03-20-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm 12 years into giving up on my Land Rover....

I'm going to start referring to my relationship with my Rover like this.

1971Series88
03-20-2012, 12:29 PM
I think you can put a nail in Bob's ownership of this one...it is listed for sale in multiple forums - so he is serious!

SafeAirOne
03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I think you can put a nail in Bob's ownership of this one...it is listed for sale in multiple forums - so he is serious!

That's very unfortunate.

bmohan55
03-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks to all for the words of encouragement but yes, I am done. Maybe it was the 22 months of no Series projects that allowed me to "detoxify", or the fact that I now have two grandchildren to spend time and money on but "IF" it sells for a fair price I am done.

BTW, I would like some feedback on the asking price, it's almost half of what I got into it but we all know that doesn't matter.

TedW
03-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks to all for the words of encouragement but yes, I am done. Maybe it was the 22 months of no Series projects that allowed me to "detoxify", or the fact that I now have two grandchildren to spend time and money on but "IF" it sells for a fair price I am done.

BTW, I would like some feedback on the asking price, it's almost half of what I got into it but we all know that doesn't matter.

You'll be back. Do you watch The Walking Dead? It's just like that: we're all infected, and it's only a matter of time before the virus strikes again.....:thumb-up:

mongoswede
03-21-2012, 08:36 PM
none of my rover projects are done but they all taunt me when i cannot work on them.

achtung
03-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Ha! If it were easy everyone would do it, but it isn't and thats what makes Rover owners special! I have said I'm done with these pieces of SH#! so many times, not Rovers per se but old jalopies in general.. I always come back and so will you.