PDA

View Full Version : MOD six way switch

Ncrover725
03-19-2012, 10:16 PM
I have an ex-MOD 11a 109 and have two issues with the six way switch. 1- I busted the key off in the barrel and have Ben using a screw driver to start it over the past seven months 2- I lost power to all my lights tonight and have hast problems in the past with my truck cutting off due to the switch. Does anyone have any reliable alternatives they have used instead of the six way switch? I honestly have no need for all the six way light settings?

cedryck
03-20-2012, 12:20 PM
You can trace and fit different switches to operate essential lights. Head, side, and such. I considered such an arrangement when restoring my 88 Ex mod. I decided to use a new barrel and key from our hosts my truck came to me with no key, and use a new purchased 6way, I was looking to keep critical aspects of this truck original. Although I agree I have not much use for the Convoy position. I was going for originality. I have found good luck with some maritime switches from boat supply stores that are sturdy, and waterproof. They also look like they might come in a Rover. :o

disco2hse
03-20-2012, 04:11 PM
I have an ex-MOD 11a 109 and have two issues with the six way switch. 1- I busted the key off in the barrel and have Ben using a screw driver to start it over the past seven months 2- I lost power to all my lights tonight and have hast problems in the past with my truck cutting off due to the switch. Does anyone have any reliable alternatives they have used instead of the six way switch? I honestly have no need for all the six way light settings?

Please forgive my ignorance, but I know of three different convoy light options that are called 6-way switches. Can you give a part number for the component you are referring to? Often there are other cheaper alternatives for components, for example from Hella.

Ncrover725
03-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Mine is like the one below except for it has the ignition switch in the center

LIGHT SWITCH 6 WAY MILITARY KOSTAL WITH CONVOY POSITIONS SERIES IIA- DEFENDER 1962-1993

*E-mail this product to a friend

New Old Stock British MOD.* Made in the UK.

Part#: PLE487
Price:*$198.00*

Quantity: **

disco2hse
03-21-2012, 02:38 PM
My advice would be to cough up for the replacement switch, or be prepared to spend days figuring out the harness and what changes you need to make to ensure those light you want to work, will.

This look like the right one? I think the part number for the non-key switch is PRC2088

http://www.thexmod.com/prod_pics_3/10187-1.jpg

http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=10187

Jim-ME
03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
I was going to say basically the same thing. Watch Ebay UK (sorry Les) and find a new one. It has to be much easier that way.
Jim

SafeAirOne
03-21-2012, 03:18 PM
EDITED: I think there's one of those in RN's inventory right now. ;)

ca_surveyor
03-21-2012, 03:39 PM
I was able to rewire mine and used a generic light switch from kragen/oreiley. Made it switch like a normal auto. Cost was about 10 bucks (I'm cheap and couldn't afford the high bucks for a replacement) and I kept all of the terminals by using a terminal block, so at a later date could convert back. Took about an hour or so after I figured out the harness.

Les Parker
03-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Well, if folks are casting around our stock turns over less, means longer lead times to get good quality parts....... I wonder if e... has a forum like this.......

:confused:

disco2hse
03-21-2012, 05:07 PM
I was able to rewire mine and used a generic light switch from kragen/oreiley. Made it switch like a normal auto. Cost was about 10 bucks (I'm cheap and couldn't afford the high bucks for a replacement) and I kept all of the terminals by using a terminal block, so at a later date could convert back. Took about an hour or so after I figured out the harness.

Is yours a Series III? From what I have been seeing, the II and IIa are quite different. That was why I asked in my first post. On my III I have the one switch that flips everything over, it is a 6-way switch too.

ca_surveyor
03-21-2012, 05:13 PM
If I remember correctly when I looked for one for mine (bear in mind I am cheap - on some stuff), US prices were around $500.00 for the 6way, and I choose a different direction. That savings went a long way for me for many other more important parts. Not to say that I don't have much more to buy as time goes on.

Also, I appreciate this forum and I know that many others do also. There is a wealth of information and knowledge that you don't just get everywhere.

Les Parker
03-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Looking at the 2 wiring diagrams of IIA and Series III MOD vehicles, the actions identical. The only differences are the wiring harness that attaches to it. The Series IIa has the ignition key in the centre, the Series III switch knob has this blanked off, though if you remove the knob, the workings are still there.

So, in short, the Series III (PLE487) will work with either.

:)

cedryck
03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
that's great Les, I always wondered if 11a and 111 switches were the same, with help from RN, mine works perfectly, and maintains the originality of the vehicle, ex RAF short wheel base. Why did'nt a 11a use the Infra red options of the lightweight? Inquiring minds want to know. :rolleyes:

Ncrover725
03-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks a bunch for the insight. I ordered a new key barrel from RN to insert into my switch to see if that helps out. If not I will go from there.