PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Resistant Paint

Kiloengineer
03-21-2012, 09:29 PM
I see that a genuine clutch/brake reservoir is $235 from one part supplier so I think I better clean and paint mine up before it disintegrates. Any ideas what kind of paint I should use that will stand up to brake fluid (assuming that I am never going to pour it in without spilling)? I think brake fluid works better than a lot of paint strippers, so we need a tough paint. I bet somebody has a good solution already.

bkreutz
03-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Powder coating would be my recommendation

masonater
03-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Powder coating would be my recommendation

ye be warned on powder coating the res. I did, and it did work but probably didnt cure for long enough. I think i had it in maybe 12-15 out of needed 20 minutes because it started dripping solder or something on my oven floor. After learning the hard way why not to PC an oil cooler, i stopped and just installed it, worked well. You probably can do it proper if you keep a close eye on it cooking process and make sure its ultra clean.

Not sure but i think the eastwood chassis black extreme paint i used on my frame resists nasty stuff, maybe even brake fluid.

westcoastkevin
03-22-2012, 12:23 AM
I used VHT Caliper paint. It has yet to be tested though.

greenmeanie
03-22-2012, 06:33 AM
Someone is taking the piss with that price. I just had TWO metal reservoirs based on this design custom made for my 101 by Pegasus parts for approx. $150. I got fed up with the plastic ones getting eaten by the sun so I decided to go metal and be done once and for all.

DOT5 will stop them rusting and allows for cheap paint.

jac04
03-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Another option is zinc or cadmium plating. I get my zinc done at www.detailplating.com and my cadmium at www.cadplating.com.