PDA

View Full Version : Steering wonky!

knac1234
03-24-2012, 03:46 PM
All,

Been kind of quiet on here lately as I've been driving and enjoying the Rover since reassembly!

Of course, the Rover gods won't have any of that, and need to have their say!

So ever since owning it, I've always felt the steering is a bit wonky....well wanders a little. I've kept the oil up in the relay and the steering box.

When reassembling the Rover, I adjusted the steering box per the manual hoping that might help things. Well, it didn't. After clocking about 1000 miles since putting her back together, the steering seems worse. But I chocked it up, wrongly, as that's the way they probably are.

Well, today there seems a lot more play in it. Driving it down the highway (full of wire wheels getting new tires for the MG ;)), it just seemed not right.

While waiting for the tires, I tried adjusting the box again and checked the oil levels....looked fine. I recall during reassembly trying to see if there was play in the wheels moving them 12 to 6 oclock and 3 to 9 oclock...did not think so.

Any ideas, or am I destined to take it to the repair shop for the first time?! What should I expect?

Cheers,
Julian

I Leak Oil
03-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Get a helper to turn the wheel back and forth while you check things out. Along with the tie rod ends, swivels, steering box, relay....check the steering arms on the relay(both top and bottom) to make sure they're tight and check the steering box mount to make sure all the bolts are tight. Over the years I've had both steering arms and box mounts loosen up on me making the steering wander.

o2batsea
03-24-2012, 06:53 PM
it's probably toe out. That'll make even a tight steering and suspension wander about. Check the alignment.

knac1234
03-24-2012, 07:56 PM
I leak oil--I think they are tight, but will double check. Swivel balls looked pretty good....I replaced the seals 6 months ago and they no longer leak! I'm a bit over my head with steering....not sure how exactly to diagnose, but will get my wife to turn the wheel while I observe.

o2--I have new tires, but did not get an alignment done as I was waiting to see if there was any improvement once I started driving her again. May invest in that and see what happens.

Thanks!
Julian

LaneRover
03-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Get a helper to turn the wheel back and forth while you check things out. Along with the tie rod ends, swivels, steering box, relay....check the steering arms on the relay(both top and bottom) to make sure they're tight and check the steering box mount to make sure all the bolts are tight. Over the years I've had both steering arms and box mounts loosen up on me making the steering wander.

I can second this. Once doing this I found a pretty good amount of play in the drop arm from the steering box and once I found play in the arm from the relay. Just tightening up the bolt that holds the arm in place made a huge difference.

bkreutz
03-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Part of a good alignment is a check of the steering and suspension components (at least that's what I did before I retired:)). If you're not comfortable inspecting the steering it might be a worthwhile investment having the alignment done. If something is loose or worn out an alignment can't be done and the tech should tell you that. (I know, it's expecting a lot but hopefully you'll get a tech with some integrity). Good luck.

knac1234
03-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Gale,

You hit the nail on the head regarding alignment. Didn't want someone to do a "correct" alignment to find out a bunch of parts needed replacing and to do it again!

Two places in my small town can do it. I asked Big O Tire when doing the MG wires yesterday as they were looking at the Rover, and they told me if I had the toe in spec they could do it.

Will check about for loose stuff today weather permitting!

Julian