PDA

View Full Version : Tools and Repair Supplies in Your Rig

WilsBoar
03-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Planning driving my 109 for several hours next month. Looking for some advice on the types of things I should have in my onboard repair kit. What do you guys have for your daily drivers or for your offroad rigs?

yorker
03-25-2012, 08:31 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Landrover-Early-Land-Rover-Series-Tool-Roll-Kit-Heavyweight-Tools-/280847583854?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4163d20a6e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-TOOL-KIT-ITEMS-CLASSIC-SERIES-1-LAND-ROVER-/280847482472?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_E T&hash=item4163d07e68
something along those lines would be a good start.

westcoastkevin
03-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Cell phone.
Current AAA plan.
Credit Card.
$300 in cash
A packed lunch and something to drink.
....... oh yeah, a toolbox with tools and spare parts.

siii8873
03-25-2012, 09:23 AM
If going on an extended trip I carry a well stocked tool kit, wrench set, socket set, adjustable wrench, vice grips, wire strippers/cutters, some wire/connectors, test light, multimeter, bulbs, fuses, fluids.
I don't carry to many spare parts unless there is a known weak link. I assume I can hole up somewhere have a part shipped overnight, repair and then move on.

Ncrover725
03-25-2012, 09:33 AM
I did my longest trip (week) with the following listed below in a small canvas bag. I used the majority of it. This trip was my first in a series rover and I was new to it all. I had a few issues to work through and got help from some great people on this site. I learned a bunch that trip.

metric open end / box end wrenches
phillips / flat head screw drivers (one big / one small of each)
metric socket set
side cutters
pliers
90wt gear oil
quart motor oil
brake fluid
Hylomar
PB blaster
inline fuel filter with clamps
extra set points / condensor
spare coil / plug wires / cap / rotor
2 jacks and lug wrench
radiator hoses with clamps
spare belt / belts
shop manuals
headlamp / flashlight
cell phone
feeler gauges
stanley knife
gallon of water

What I should have brought I did not bring:
A bit of wire
solder gun
volt meter / test light
AAA membership

Alk-3
03-25-2012, 10:41 AM
I keep a toolbox filled with all sorts of tools, but the basics are a basic set of sockets and wrenches, (both metric and standard). An assortment of screw drives, of varying size, and length (the length is arguably more important that the tip size, but carry them both) a set of pliers, nippers, wire cutters, needle nose etc. and a whole whack of spare bolts nuts, screws wire connectors, electrical test lights etc. Then I keep all the tools that I have purchased over the years specifically for the rover, like gear pullers, accurate torque wrench etc..
As for parts, I try to keep an eye on everything in the truck, and replace worn parts before they actually fail.. This way I can take the worn, but still usable parts and toss them into a big Rubbermaid tub in case I need them on the road.
I also keep spare fluid for everything.. Coolant, gear oil, brake fluid and motor oil.
I've only ever had to tow my rover once when the head blew. There have been times when I had to make things work in a pinch to limp home, but it's rare, and I drive my rover everywhere, and I drive it every day. It’s my only car, so I keep it in good shape as best I can. After having to tow it home that one time I got a CAA membership.
If I had to guess at the most important things to bring, it would be fuel system parts (filters, maybe an electric pump etc) and ignition parts, like points, plugs, wires etc.
Basically anytime I have to make a repair, I think about if I could perform the task on the road, and if not, what would I need to do so. It's not fool proof, and you could easily fill your truck with tools and parts and still not be fully prepared.

Whiterabbit
03-25-2012, 08:40 PM
You have to remember you cant bring a whole truck, just what will get you mobile again. The best thing you can do is inspect your vehicle and if in doubt fix it. I don't worry about my hoses or u joints etc.. cause if I doubt the reliability of something I replace or repair it. Electrical is a whole different thing. Fuses blow, alternators, regulators and starters self destruct with little warning.
I carry jumper cables, tow rope to start it.
Extra fluids, they just vanish? (drip,drip)
Electrical wire,splicers,fuses, electrical tools and tape (I really think Lucas was on crack!)
Misc fasteners, safety wire,duct tape and zip ties.
Fix a flat and compressor.
and standard tools,lug wrench,jack,a WORKING flashlight.
OH, extra smokes and drinks for when you're waiting on the tow truck in the middle of no where. :D

scatterling
03-26-2012, 05:14 AM
I knew this was somewhere, just had to find it.

http://www.seriestrek.com/tools.html

TeriAnn
03-26-2012, 08:27 AM
metric open end / box end wrenches
metric socket set

Metric? On a pre 1980's Series rig? Been replacing stock bolts with metric bolts or swapping in different assemblies?

Regular SAE wrenches and a couple Whitworth tools usually do the job.

Whitworth sizes for your truck are:

3/16 - The little nuts holding the transfercase bottom plate and I think the retaining bolts for the big swivel housing seal
1/4 - Common use
5/16 - Common use on the transfercase. You will need a 5/16ths socket for the nuts inside the transfercase holding it to the gearbox
3/8 - The transfercase mounting bracket fixings and a couple other places

You might also consider a 7/16 and a 1/2 spanner. They are not as commonly used as the other sizes and you can normally get an adjustable spanner in where these nuts are located.

Here is a list I made up about a decade ago for trail runs. (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRSpares.htm)

In real life I have driven coast to coast in my 109 on pavement and several two thousand or so mile trips on pavement and never experienced any sort of break down on any of them. I firmly believe it is a mater of keeping your truck well maintained and in spec. They are pretty reliable if you maintain them per the factory maintenance schedule (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Service_Schedule.html).

It is the off road trips when my tool box occasionally comes out.

smukai
03-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Along with many of the spares and tools everyone else has listed, I carry a bottle of genuine Lucas electrical smoke. You know, just in case....

http://sjpdesigns.com/poa/lucas.html

yorker
03-26-2012, 10:53 AM
I knew this was somewhere, just had to find it.

http://www.seriestrek.com/tools.html

I was trying to remember that URL before. Jim is definitely prepared. One thing to remember is you don't always end up working on your car- sometimes you end up assisting aless fortunate motorist. Not that there is thast much you cna do with modern cars but I don't think it hurts to have both a set of metric and SAE wrenches along. If you aren't careful though your tool box can accumulate 200#s worth of tools particularly for those who don't maintain a set of both garage tools and road tools... ;)

WilsBoar
03-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Wow! Thanks all who responded. A lot of great ideas from experience and I appreciate all the recommendations. Looks like I need to start pulling together some items here pretty soon. Will be moving the old girl from North Carolina to Northern Florida in April. Should be a lot of fun regardless of how it goes. I will just embrace the risks and joys of a old Rover!

ThePhotographer
03-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Ideally, you only need two items.
http://sursumcorda.salemsattic.com/gallery/1/previews-med/engineering%20flowchart.jpg

WilsBoar
03-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Hmm, fewer tools required according to that flow chart.

cedryck
03-26-2012, 06:35 PM
You NEED to carry a humungous flashlight for when your lights fade away, ;);) But seriously battery cables, fuel and extra hypo a must. :thumb-up:

WilsBoar
03-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Gotcha. This is going to be an interesting trip. Once I get her down to Florida she will probably not stray more than about 40 miles from home. This will be a true test. Especially due to the fact that we are dropping a SIII gearbox in her the week before.

greenmeanie
03-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Metric? On a pre 1980's Series rig? Been replacing stock bolts with metric bolts or swapping in different assemblies?

Break out your calculator and do some math. You'll find metric and imperial are almost exactly the same within the tolerances your tools/bolt heads are made to and are pretty interchangeable. Metric will also do Whitworth with a little persuasion. Saves carrying a bucket load of tools when only a few are needed.

tmckeon88
03-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I see what you're getting at with metric sizes being close to SAE but I still think that using metric wrenches and sockets on SAE bolts is going to result in a lot of rounded off bolt heads and frustrations. I have a few metric wrenches in my tool box but I have seldom if ever use them - sometimes for oddball Whitworth stuff; and I should really get a set of Whitworths and do that right.

I am a little embarrassed to say my tool and spares collection sometimes threatens to overwhelm the back of my 88. I recently went through and took out a bunch of things I never use and put them away. I don't have a garage so I got used to carrying everything I needed in the back of the truck. I did a long Pan-American highway trip and also experienced relatively few breakdowns; I certainly used my basic wrenches and screwdrivers, fluids and sealers. I could have used spare axles, I broke one of those, and I broke the gearshift lever off, but there's not much you can do about that. (Found a nice Chilean welder to put it back together again.) I like my boxes of spares and will probably continue to carry them. Good luck on the road.

Tom

Alk-3
03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
I carry both metric and SAE because my truck has been in Canada long enough to have picked up several metric nuts and bolts, and the truck lived in the states before that. Not only that, but often a nut that is say ½" will be attached to a bolt that is also ½" and so requires two wrenches the same size.. if you happen to have both SAE and metric, then you can get by using a 13mm and a ½". Basically you have two sets of wrenches, and none of them are really redundant. I use both metric and SAE equally on my truck, and would be frustrated if I didn't have both.

Just this past weekend I upgraded my e-brake to a disc brake, and had to remove the rear prop shaft. I could have used a socket and wrench, but that would require rolling the truck mid way through the job to gain access to all the bolts. by using two wrenches and not using the socket, I didn't have to roll the truck. it's not a huge deal, but convenient to have the tools on hand.

If weight or storage space was a real concern, I would rather give up the SAE sockets than give up the metric wrenches.. but weight and space are not concerns to me… yet..
I think in time everyone gathers the tools and parts they deem necessary, and once in a while should empty items from the truck that have seen no use in a long time.

TeriAnn
03-27-2012, 02:01 PM
I often a nut that is say ½" will be attached to a bolt that is also ½" and so requires two wrenches the same size.. if you happen to have both SAE and metric, then you can get by using a 13mm and a ½". Basically you have two sets of wrenches, and none of them are really redundant.

Right one that fits and one slightly too wide and you count on the bolt not being too tight to round the edges of the nut or bolt the 13mm wrench is on.

Instead of carrying a complete second set of wrenches I have my basic combination wrench set plus three long handle combination wrenches: 7/16, 1/2 & 9/16. They serve your stated purpose plus can provide a longer leaver for bolts on extra tight.

3 long handled wrenches tend to take up less space than a complete second wrench set. But we all have our individual preferences. I just have more of a feeling of "rightness" when I have the correct tool for the job I'm doing.

I mean, 2 adjustable spanners should be enough for most jobs ... but.

disco2hse
03-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Various lengths of various gauge electrical wire
Alligator clips
Electrical tape
Circuit tester and multi-tester
Standard automotive tool box from the local home supplies store
1/4" and 1/2" drive socket sets
Spare dizzy cap, rotor, coil, ignitor
oil and brake/clutch fluid
water
two truck jacks
long link chain
Rope
Tirfor winch
Usual assortment of recovery equipment
1" drive breaker bar, extension and sockets for a wheel brace
Various electrical tools such as wire strippers, heat shrink, etc.
Several blocks of 12x2 wood
Bridging ladders
Plywood to go over the front of the radiator when wading (it's held on with bungy cord)
Portable 12V tyre pump (up to 120psi capacity)
Lengths of 1" galvanised pipe
Grease gun
WD40
Lanokote (spray on and grease)
Assortment of electrical connectors
Packets of fuses and appropriate sizes
Spare light bulbs
Fuel line
Machete
Saw
Shovels (x2)
2.5kg fire extinguisher (rated and checked annually)
Spare spark plugs
Gasket goo
Wiring diagram
V8 supplement and workshop manual
Spare wheel in good and checked condition
Lighter
Torches and batteries
Hand held PRS radios
High-viz waistcoats (yellow and orange)
Vacuum pipe and connectors
hose clamps and jubilee clips
thread tape

Added;
EPIRB
Spare axle hub caps

greenmeanie
03-27-2012, 03:02 PM
How many have you actually rounded using a metric spanner?

If you are worried about rounding bolts then 6 sided ring spanners/sockets are a much better bet than hoping your open ended SAE is manufactured to ANSI B18.2 tolerances. Have you ever mic'd them to make sure? There's lots of good tools but even more of dubious quality. Then again, you are assuming Rover and all previous owners are also used fasteners made to this standard too....

If you are REALLY worried about rounding fasteners then Metrinch is the way to go.

Oh and as Land ROver have a passion for floating fastener joints vice grips save the day unless you have really long arms in all situations.

Alk-3
03-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Right one that fits and one slightly too wide and you count on the bolt not being too tight to round the edges of the nut or bolt the 13mm wrench is on.

Instead of carrying a complete second set of wrenches I have my basic combination wrench set plus three long handle combination wrenches: 7/16, 1/2 & 9/16. They serve your stated purpose plus can provide a longer leaver for bolts on extra tight.

3 long handled wrenches tend to take up less space than a complete second wrench set. But we all have our individual preferences. I just have more of a feeling of "rightness" when I have the correct tool for the job I'm doing.

I mean, 2 adjustable spanners should be enough for most jobs ... but.

Yes, totally agree. a couple of long handled wrenches would work IF you don't have a mismatch of metric and SEA all over the truck like I do. I find I need the metrics just as much as the SAE, which is why I carry both, but I'd rather use a sightly too large metric wrench on a SAE nut than an adjustable wrench any day of the week.
Of corse I think everyone would rather have the right tool for the job at any given time, but in a pinch, getting away with the most versatile tools can be a blessing on the side of the road at night.. in the rain. ;)

Alk-3
03-27-2012, 03:47 PM
How many have you actually rounded using a metric spanner?

so far? none.