PDA

View Full Version : VIN mismatch?

AirmanPika
03-25-2012, 08:32 PM
OK been trying to figure out exactly what is going on here. On my title, the VIN shows as one number but on the identification plate on the seat box it shows as another number. Could this have been some kind of VIN assigned when the vehicle was mported by the previous owner? I'm concerned as I'm going to need to transfer my title to Ohio at some point. As mentioned in previous threads, it is a 1979 Santana SIII.

I Leak Oil
03-26-2012, 01:17 PM
PM'd you.

AirmanPika
03-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Well I got a reply back. The DMV used the vehicle ID on the Spanish title when he had it registered. I don't see any foul play so I need to just go to the DMV and see if this is something they can correct for me. Everything properly matches up aside from the numbers and since the VIN isn't even remotely like any regular vehicle ID (even pre 1979) it makes more sense.

Apis Mellifera
03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Believe it or not I just corrected a title of mine today. About 20 years ago I bought an MG Midget and while filling in the VIN on the transfer paperwork, I wrote a "6" where I should have written a "G". I realized it a decade ago but just got around to fixing it.

I took a picture of the VIN plate, printed it, and took the error title to the DMV. I explained myself and the DMV worker took the title to the back. He came back and said, "Yes, I see where you wrote the 6 on the original title form." I said, "You have the form I filled out 20 years ago?" "Yes", he said.

Because I made the error it cost $10 to get a new corrected title printed. The worker copied the VIN plate photo, took the cash, and told me the corrected title will be ready in an hour. Pretty easy. I was expecting a police VIN inspection/verification, which is what they normally do, but since I already owned the car, it wasn't required.