PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rattle

Billy5
03-26-2012, 05:30 PM
After my big mouth stated what my spring plans were for my series, I have new issue. When I start it,the oil pressure light stays lit for maybe a second. But that is accompanied by a rattle from the top of the engine ( or it sounds like it). It is not a knock more like a pinging. But it goes away when the light goes out. Is this a sign of a possible failing oil pump? Or possibly the rocker assembly itself? I noticed there is a pipe that feeds oil to the head( or so I think) do these need attention at some point. Thank you gents..

TeriAnn
03-27-2012, 01:49 PM
After my big mouth stated what my spring plans were for my series, I have new issue. When I start it,the oil pressure light stays lit for maybe a second. But that is accompanied by a rattle from the top of the engine ( or it sounds like it). It is not a knock more like a pinging. But it goes away when the light goes out. Is this a sign of a possible failing oil pump? Or possibly the rocker assembly itself? I noticed there is a pipe that feeds oil to the head( or so I think) do these need attention at some point. Thank you gents..

It is likely a stretched timing chain rattling against the timing chain cover that you hear. The tensioner can take a while to push out if it has a long way to go as it is pushed out by oil pressure.

Put a stethoscope probe on the timing chain cover & have someone else start the engine after it has been sitting for a while.

If your timing chain is as bad as it sounds like you need at a minimum new chain & gears & likely a new tensioner. you might also want to drop the pan and look at some bearings.

Sounds like you do not have an oil pressure gauge on your truck They are good to have.

Billy5
03-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Teri Ann,
Thank you for the info. This is my first rover so all the quirks are new to me. Your site is fantastic thank you for all that effort ( and sorry if i offend you with the gents..) I will add the noise is only when its warmed up. Cold the light is on for the split second then goes out with no noise. But I will do the scope, I actually bought one the other day ( i am a certified gadget freak). If it is the chain, well I know I need a water pump, from seal, pan gasket... I do have a pressure gauge, it reads over 100 ( i know this is wrong), it fluctuates between 50 and 100. Thank you for your input!

disco2hse
03-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Put a stethoscope probe on the timing chain cover

Commonly referred to as a long screwdriver :D

jac04
03-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Commonly referred to as a long screwdriver :D
...and a piece of 1/2" rubber hose works well in some cases.

SafeAirOne
03-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Just watch out for that spinning thing attached to the front of the timing case. :eek: