PDA

View Full Version : Starving for fuel

rosims
04-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Anybody had any issues with your rover starving for fuel at WOT? Mine runs fine anytime except at high rpm's. Just replaced all fuel lines from tank to pump to carb. New fuel pump also.

jonnyc
04-01-2012, 02:10 PM
WOT?

bkreutz
04-01-2012, 02:11 PM
WOT?
Wide Open Throttle:D

I Leak Oil
04-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Was it doing it before you replaced everything?
Are you sure it's a fuel issue?
Check the pickup tube in the tank for obstruction.
Temporarily install an electric pump to see if the problem goes away.

yorker
04-01-2012, 05:26 PM
What carb? Weber?

rosims
04-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Had a Rochester on it when it started. Changed Out to my weber same thing. Pulled sending unit that has the pick up in it. No leaks holds pressure. Put electric pump in between fuel pump and carb same thing. Going to bypass mech pump next weekend with electric down by the frame. Never seen this issue. Had a clear ff at the carb and it would just barely be trickling fuel. I'm beginning to think may be the lobe on camshaft. Will try electric pump this weekend
Will let you. Know what I find.

73series88
04-03-2012, 07:12 AM
I had a brand new mechanical fuel pump
But was told that sometimes the drive cam
The pumps the pump can wear down and not
Drive enough fuel
I put a in line electric pump in and it fixed
My fuel starvation problems
Aaron

LaneRover
04-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Is there any chance that there is a 2nd semi clogged filter somewhere that you haven't seen yet?

rosims
04-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I changed both, I have one on the frame before the fuel pump, and one at the carb. Also cleaned the screen in the pump, even tho it is new, wasn't dirty. Going to add a electric pump this weekend. See what that does. If it works, going to be a good excuse to put a 2.5 cam in!!

I Leak Oil
04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=rosims;83413Going to add a electric pump this weekend. See what that does. If it works, going to be a good excuse to put a 2.5 cam in!![/QUOTE]

And if you're there you may as well do the clutch, and if you're doing the clutch may as well have the bulkhead dipped, and if you're......etc.......:popcorn:

mearstrae
04-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Just a note: Electric fuel pumps are "pusher" pumps, so mount it close to the fuel tank for best results. If you remove the mechanical pump and use only the elec. you may need a regulator to drop the fuel pressure at the carb. The better fuel pumps usually put out about six pounds pressure and I believe you might only need about four.

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

rosims
04-04-2012, 09:45 AM
I had a brand new mechanical fuel pump
But was told that sometimes the drive cam
The pumps the pump can wear down and not
Drive enough fuel
I put a in line electric pump in and it fixed
My fuel starvation problems
Aaron

DID YOU KEEP THE MECHANICAL PUMP HOOKED UP TOO? WHERE DID YOU MOUNT THE ELECTRIC PUMP?