PDA

View Full Version : Hub Grease Quantity And Race Hub Seal Removal

kenscs
04-03-2012, 08:41 PM
I am repacking my wheel bearings and replacing the hub seals. Two questions i cannont find answered specific to Series Rovers. 1.) How much grease do I pack in the hubs? I have seen recommendations for trailers to pack the hub pretty full, up to the top of the bearing race. Is that too much? 2.) i tried a cold chisel on the race hub seal and it did not split. I ended upmusing a pipe wrench to spin it off. I have 3 more to go, so any other suggestions for easy removal? Thanks.

westcoastkevin
04-03-2012, 09:51 PM
This picture is on another forum. It is another approach to removing the collars. It will split with the chisel more easily after drilling.
http://www.le-temps-des-series.com/photos/images11/126324507287408.jpg

crankin
04-03-2012, 09:53 PM
I am repacking my wheel bearings and replacing the hub seals. Two questions i cannont find answered specific to Series Rovers. 1.) How much grease do I pack in the hubs? I have seen recommendations for trailers to pack the hub pretty full, up to the top of the bearing race. Is that too much? 2.) i tried a cold chisel on the race hub seal and it did not split. I ended upmusing a pipe wrench to spin it off. I have 3 more to go, so any other suggestions for easy removal? Thanks.

Cold chisel should work...place it on the top...pull back and hit with a hammer. Hit it until it cracks.

Pack it pretty full.

s3landy
04-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Pack it pretty full.[/QUOTE]

Series hub bearings ride in oil, and are not packed with grease.

Mike

jac04
04-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Series hub bearings ride in oil, and are not packed with grease.

Not all of them.

Packing the wheel bearings is covered in the SIII Green Bible. Pack the bearing rollers & cage full using a bearing packer. Install the bearings into the hubs and pack some grease into the hub void. You do not want to pack them full. I think the manual states to pack the hubs half full, but double-check that in the manual. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll check my SIII manual.

SafeAirOne
04-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Just follow the bible--It answers both of your questions:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5444/6898784662_59742cf30e_c.jpg

I Leak Oil
04-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Only thing I will add is it won't hurt to pack them with grease if you're unsure what hub you have. Also, coat the inside and back of the distance piece with RTV before installing. This will help elimintate the possibility of oil or thinned grease getting out from in back of it.

s3landy
04-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Well I learn something new every day. I never greased my bearings as the oil would just wash it away.

Mike

martindktm
04-04-2012, 03:45 PM
I think only the front wheel one's are greased since theres a seal to seal bearing area from ball pivot area. On the rear axle diff oil will reach and lube them so no need for grease.

jac04
04-04-2012, 06:58 PM
I think only the front wheel one's are greased since theres a seal to seal bearing area from ball pivot area. On the rear axle diff oil will reach and lube them so no need for grease.

Not according the the SIII Green Bible. The rear hubs get the same grease packing procedure as the fronts. You can't rely on the oil making its way out to the bearings on the SIIIs. On the older oil lubed hubs, there is a fill hole on the hub to fill it with oil after assembly. This ensures that there is oil in the hub at first start. On hubs without the oil fill hole, you need to pack them with grease.

kenscs
04-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Thank you all very much. The drilling first worked like a charm. I had forgot to add that this is for a '71 Series IIa Ambulance. From what i can tell, they were all originally packed with bearing grease. The front axel swivel housings did have SAE 90 in them. I will attach some photos soon.