PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust down pipe

artpeck
04-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I noticed exhaust coming out of the engine bay. Not a good sign but turned out a gap between the downpipe and the manifold. Is there a gasket that goes there or is it just a mechanical connection? s3. Thanks.

jonnyc
04-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Nope, no gasket there for a Ser.III 2.25 gas.

I Leak Oil
04-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Just a ball and socket joint. Try tightening up the 3 nuts. Spray it down with you're favorite rust buster (liquid wrench, kroil, etc.) and go easy. These like to break off just before you're big trip! Atleast that's when mine usually break.:sly:

rrc.swb
04-09-2012, 07:46 PM
I had the same issue. No gasket, just a ball joint on the down pipe and the socket on the manifold.

Two of the studs lost their thread when I tighten them.

Took the manifold to the shop and had them tapped with DII studs with brass nuts.

artpeck
04-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks. I tried to tighten and snapped one off. The easiest fix looked to be to drill it out and use a nut and bolt. Is there an obvious or otherwise reason why that would not work? I love working on this truck but just when you think you have things buttoned up, there is always something else. Both the joy and the misery.

cedryck
04-11-2012, 04:03 PM
I have to tighten the 3 bolts at the connection of manifold and pipe after every other use of my Rover, darn vibration alway loosens the one closest to the engine block.

mongoswede
04-11-2012, 04:06 PM
I have to tighten the 3 bolts at the connection of manifold and pipe after every other use of my Rover, darn vibration alway loosens the one closest to the engine block.

are you using lock washers under the nuts?

jonnyc
04-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Or double-nut them.

Whiterabbit
04-12-2012, 09:24 PM
If you drill them out for bolts you will have to grind the side of the bolt head or it wont sit flat.
If you have some copper flashing you can cut out a gasket for the joint and it'll conform to make a very good seal. Used to do the same thing with beer cans.:cool:

ThePhotographer
04-12-2012, 10:07 PM
If you drill them out for bolts you will have to grind the side of the bolt head or it wont sit flat.
If you have some copper flashing you can cut out a gasket for the joint and it'll conform to make a very good seal. Used to do the same thing with beer cans.:cool:

Although gaskets were not the genuine decision, they can definitely be helpful in sealing unwanted leaks.

o2batsea
04-13-2012, 05:15 AM
Studs are usually the choice for manufacturers as it makes it easier for assembly line workers to assemble parts, not because they are superior fasteners.
I would sy go on and drill the thing for bolts/nuts.