PDA

View Full Version : Painless wireing on series 3 help

Stolidog
04-11-2012, 09:01 AM
My wiring was the only thing that was keeping my truck from being relatively dependable, would like to say it was all the previous owner that did all the damage but I must take some blame as well. Anyway summit was selling the 20 circuit universal at 40% off so took the plunge and everything seems to be up and working except my turn indicators.
On the series 3 everything is in the stock ( dip,turn,horn) I wired up the front and rear turn bulbs to the appropriate color wire coming out of the turn stock and installed the low and high beam lights in the dip switch portion and connected the horn and i am left over with three wires coming out of the turn indicator.
1 big green wire that I plugged into my headlight switch to power the dip
2 big purple wire
3 small brown with red strip

Now I now I need to connect my flashers up but nothing happens when connected to wires 2or3. What am I doing wrong
Thanks

mongoswede
04-11-2012, 10:29 AM
My wiring was the only thing that was keeping my truck from being relatively dependable, would like to say it was all the previous owner that did all the damage but I must take some blame as well. Anyway summit was selling the 20 circuit universal at 40% off so took the plunge and everything seems to be up and working except my turn indicators.
On the series 3 everything is in the stock ( dip,turn,horn) I wired up the front and rear turn bulbs to the appropriate color wire coming out of the turn stock and installed the low and high beam lights in the dip switch portion and connected the horn and i am left over with three wires coming out of the turn indicator.
1 big green wire that I plugged into my headlight switch to power the dip
2 big purple wire
3 small brown with red strip

Now I now I need to connect my flashers up but nothing happens when connected to wires 2or3. What am I doing wrong
Thanks

How many wires does the Painless kit use for the turn signal circuits? And, does the Painless come with a wiring diagram?

SafeAirOne
04-11-2012, 10:40 AM
According to the schematic (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/category/medium/LR-page84.pdf), the purple wire should power the main (high) beam from the light switch. A dark green wire feeds power TO the flasher unit from the fuse panel and a light green unit feeds the turn signal switch (arm) FROM the flasher unit.

There is no brown w/red tracer wire listed on the turn signal/dip switch/horn switch (or anywhere on the whole schematic) that I can see. In addition to the above wires, you should have the following on the stalk:

solid brown feed to the horn switch,
brown w/black from the horn switch to the horn,
blue w/red going to the dipped beams,
blue w/white going to the main beams and its panel indicator,
green w/white going to the right turn signals and their panel indicator
green w/red goint to the left trun signals and their panel indicator
Does the brown with red tracer wire come from someplace on your stalk?

Stolidog
04-11-2012, 04:09 PM
the painless harness has one wire coming out of the flasher that is hot that looks like it needs to plug into the rover turn indicator switch on the stock. painless has a wiring diagram but seems to be mostly for gm/ford.
when i use the purple wire to power the main high beams on the light switch i loose my headlights. if i use the green wire coming out of the turn switch the headlights seem to function properly although my switch is now backwards and all the way up is on and all the way down is off. on the light switch i have the main headlight power coming from the fuse block to #4 on the lucas 5 prong (8 numbered) light switch. I think 7 is parking lights and then # 8 is the feed over to the turn indicator to power the dip switch that i have now plugged into the big green wire. Coming out of the land rover turn indicator i have the low and high beams hooked up to there respective headlight and the the horn.
1 blue with red is going to low or dipped beams
2 blue with white is going to the high beams, there is a separate wire to light high beam indicator light.
3 green with white is going to right turn indicators (bulbs)
4 green with red is going to left turn indicators (bulbs)
that leaves the big purple wire to plug in the wire coming from my flashers that is hot but trying that does nothing. Called tech support at painless and they couldn't help.
the brown and red might be brown and black that is coming from my stalk and i think might be for the horn without relay.
hope this makes sense ?
Jeff

SafeAirOne
04-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Did you get this figured out? I've got my lower dash and instrument panel COMPLETELY apart, so I can have a peek at wire routing/connections if you need. Just let me know before I put it back together at 10am tomorrow morning.

Stolidog
04-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Mark,
thanks I figured it out,turns out my turn indicator lights on the dash weren't grounded and throwing everything off. Soon as I put a ground to them everything worked. Last night I drove it home from work and half way between Tahoe and Reno everything went dead, left it at a ski resort and called my understanding wife for a ride. picked it up today on my way to work with my truck and tow hitch, turns out when I changed the wiring on my starter I moved the battery cable just enough so it rubbed on the exhust, melted the battery cable and fried my new optima battery. Lesson learned . Thanks for the help though on the the turn indicator I am really happy with the painless wireing harness setup.
jeff

SafeAirOne
04-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Glad to hear you got it worked out. Too bad about the short. Honestly, you're pretty lucky--What you describe is the mother of all shorts--Direct from the battery wire to ground.

As far as instrument panel grounds go, some odd things can happen when the panel ground is iffy. For me, the turn indicators would glow faintly and the temp gauge would slowly rise whenever the instrument panel lights were on. For quite a while I just kept the instrument panel lights off. Problem was that on occasion, I'd flip them on and forget the effect that'd have on the temp gauge and cause myself a brief but intense panic when I'd glance down a few minutes later and see the needle pegged in the red.