PDA

View Full Version : SIII Alternator 4 wire hook up? Help!

chicken
04-11-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm lost, dazed and confused. I had a Lucas 18ACR alternator and it has run out of smoke. I purchased a new unit from Rovers North. Problem is that the old unit had a 3 wire connector and 1 extra 16ga wire (brown) on a separate spade lug. The new unit has only a 3 wire plug. Is the 4th wire a load sense? And how do I hook all this up and have it work? This is for a 1975 S3 diesel 109, came from Norway...somehow. Can anyone shed light?

LaneRover
04-12-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm lost, dazed and confused. I had a Lucas 18ACR alternator and it has run out of smoke. I purchased a new unit from Rovers North. Problem is that the old unit had a 3 wire connector and 1 extra 16ga wire (brown) on a separate spade lug. The new unit has only a 3 wire plug. Is the 4th wire a load sense? And how do I hook all this up and have it work? This is for a 1975 S3 diesel 109, came from Norway...somehow. Can anyone shed light?

Wish I knew more and could help. Have you contacted Rovers North to see what they say? Maybe others have had the same issue.

chicken
04-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. As yet no one has answered the question yet. Hoping for an answer soon. I'll have to go to plan B and get a Delco if I don't hear soon.

bkreutz
04-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Changing wire configuration on replacement electrical parts is not uncommon in the industry. Normally such changed parts come with instructions how to convert (or adapt) to the original configuration. You said no one answered, but have you contacted the seller (as was suggested earlier)? I would pursue that route first rather than relying on random ideas on a forum (not aimed at anyone but a lot of unintentual misinformation gets disseminated).

siiirhd88
04-14-2012, 01:16 PM
This web page for vintage Triumphs discusses differences between Lucas three and four wire alternators:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator-repair.shtml

Maybe it will help.

Bob

chicken
04-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Rovers North has not answered yet, maybe stumped?

chicken
04-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Reading the VTR page, the authors suggests that it will work without the load sense (4th wire), but I think I would like RN to give the okay. Its all about plausible deniability, right?