PDA

View Full Version : Can you lock yourself in?

willincalgary
04-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Is there a good way to lock yourself inside a series truck? I currently open the front window and reach down to do this. There must be a better way!

I will be sleeping in my truck for the month of June and would like to come up with a better method. Also, I assume if you jam a screw driver in the lock and twist you can, with enough force, turn the lock. There is a hole above the handle that could be blocked to prevent the door from opening even if the lock is disabled. Has anybody rigged up something to jam the handle through this hole?

TedW
04-12-2012, 05:18 PM
That's pretty much my technique..................

SafeAirOne
04-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Wow--Sounds like you'll be camping in a pretty rough neighborhood--People forcing the locks open with screwdrivers and all!

There are factory add-on locks that are designed to prevent the handle from being raised, but I think these only fit on the latches that do not have the internal lock mechanism (but don't quote me on that).

I'll save Les the trouble:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1533-door-lock-interior-lh.aspx

and

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1532-door-lock-interior-rh.aspx

leafsprung
04-12-2012, 05:47 PM
locks only keep honest people honest - anyone that wants to do you harm will break glass without thinking twice.

bkreutz
04-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Just pretend you're on Safari, I'd think hanging a 375 H&H in the back should do the trick. ;)

willincalgary
04-12-2012, 06:09 PM
I realize the window above the door is a weakness in the whole system. I am not naive and know that a determined effort will breach whatever security you put in place. What I am interested in is thwarting the Walmart parking lot theif from stealing my field gear, which unfortunately, I will have to leave in the truck when I go inside. The way I see it most thieves will break a window in order to reach items that are accessible through the window. Beyond that they will unlock and open the door to gain better access. The way the locks in my truck work you can break the window but that doesn't unlock the door, as there is no way to unlock the door from the inside. So what I am interested in is thwarting the theif that forces the lock with a screwdriver by having some sort of redundancy. You only need to make it a bit harder to keep more of the not-quite-so-honest people honest. That's why Brinks truck robberies are beyond your typical theif.

Obviously locking things inside would be beneficial but I cannot lock everything! Anybody found a North American supplier for something like this:

http://www.barebox.co.uk/

willincalgary
04-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Just pretend you're on Safari, I'd think hanging a 375 H&H in the back should do the trick. ;)

Good while you are also in the truck! Otherwise something else to steal! I would be more likely to bring this:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

nategracie808
04-12-2012, 06:16 PM
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/

Had some of these in my wrangler, worked great

CRiordan01
04-12-2012, 07:59 PM
How much gear are you trying to lock up? The full back our something less? Do you currently have rear side seats? Seems to me it may be worth talking to someone lo
cally who could weld you a box specific to your needs. You could bolt it through the rear tub so the nuts holding it are inside the box. Could probably help you with this if in my neck of the woods. Glocks with 33rd mags are good deterrents as well...

Rat Patrol
04-12-2012, 08:23 PM
I use the western (frontier) method....

pistol or shotgun and the dog and yes I'm sleeping in there too.

cgalpin
04-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Have you considered curtains?

willincalgary
04-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Have you considered curtains?

I have lovely curtains!

Alk-3
04-12-2012, 10:31 PM
So if I understand this correctly, you lock the door from the outside with a key, but cannot unlock it from inside? This is how my truck works, so I presume yours is the same.
My thoughts are that if someone looks into the window for something worth stealing, a tarp may be enough to make them move on to something else more promising.. If by chance they decide they want to know what's under the tarp, they break the window, and find they still can't get inside, at which point wouldn't they just move on? Now, in the extreme example, they would now have to force open the lock with a screwdriver? I think the triple line of defense is plenty to be honest. With all those odds, if you're going to get robbed, you're going to get robbed. Get insurance, and call it good. No sense in worrying about the remote possibility that you're actually going to lose something.
I don't know how guns would be a viable solution here, as we are not talking about a car jacking.. Or are we? Plus, the OP is in Canada where we have slightly (VERY) different gun laws.
If its any assurance for you, I have run my truck all summer with just a bikini top on it, open to whoever got sticky fingers. I keep a large amount of tools, and parts, and a high end clarion stereo, JL sub and speakers, and never had anything go missing, ever. I've actually come out to my truck in the morning and fount the drivers door open (not just unlocked, but wide open) on two occassions, and still nothing missing.
The worst I've seen is people walking down the street at night, and a few of them climbed into the truck while their friends took pictures of them while they pretended to be on safari. I just watched, and made sure they didn't grab anything on their way out.
I may be a bit more trusting then most, but live and let live I say. I have not locked my truck in months. If someone wants in, they're getting in. I'd rather they didn't trash my door trying to steal something if they are going to steal it anyway.

martindktm
04-13-2012, 05:39 AM
You could always take the Mr.Bean method...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-CT0_w7pN5bU/Tx8xbuiz7NI/AAAAAAAABCw/xaiICvbUPiI/IMG_9007.JPG

http://img1.photographersdirect.com/img/22403/wm/pd2519558.jpg

LR Max
04-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Seems like here in the US, as long as you don't have something important out (wallet, GPS, flashy radio, gold, etc), thieves just walk around, seeing who has their doors open. It has happened to me on a number of occasions. They got into my Honda back in 2008, the passenger rear door was unlocked (swear the ONE TIME I didn't lock it :rolleyes:). Jacked my sunglasses, MP3 players and my white undershirt (really? My white undershirt? I need that for work!!)

So yeah, just having your doors locked and keeping things out of sight will keep the kids moving along. I think that is what he is trying to accomplish here. Unless you have an army, you can't stop a bank robber. But not too many of those out there.

Les Parker
04-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Mark,

Thanks for the links. These will work on the "mortice" type IIa Door Latches nicely,

On the Antiburst latch (as fitted to the Series III and Soft Top Defender 90's), there is a small black lever that can be moved to lock the interior. Sort of a child safety lock.

:)