PDA

View Full Version : Mansfield Heater Resistor Location

Myron
04-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Here in Michigan the Mt Mansfield heater comes in handy. The 2-speed fan is essential, though -- the high speed setting is very loud and just pumps out more heat than you need on anything warmer than a really, really cold day. Hence, the low speed setting gets used the most in my Rover.

I have just finished replacing the resistor in my Mt Mansfield for the second time since I've owned it, about 4 years. The resistor seems to last about 1.5 winters, which means you spend the second half of the second winter driving around with high speed fan only. This isn't as bad as having no fan at all, but it does make modulating the temperature inside the Rover a bit difficult, and the noise is a bummer.

Replacing this unit is a PITA, that's all there is to it. The wing has to come off to access it because the resistor is located inside the fan housing. If it were located on the outside of the fan housing, you could replace it without removing the wing, and it might take a complete DIY novice about 15 minutes, instead of the several hours it takes to remove and reinstall the wing. If the resistor lasted 10 years, I wouldn't mind removing the wing to replace it, but its short life span necessitates the wing surgery more often than I care to do it.

My question is, has anyone re-located their heater resistor? I assume the reason it's on the inside of the blower housing is to keep it away from water, dirt, etc. I would love to hear from anyone who has found a better location for theirs. Hell, I'd love to hear from anyone who is also sick and tired of having to replace theirs every other year or so, just 'cause my misery would love some company.

Thanks,

Myron