PDA

View Full Version : Rear diff help

scott_b
04-17-2012, 05:58 PM
The other evening I was stopped on a steepish grade. When I went to pull out (on asphalt), I heard a loud pop in the rear end and then had no forward drive. I rolled back down the grade, put the truck in gear and let out the clutch, looked underneath and the driveshaft was still there and turning. I thought (hoped) that it was an axle. Once I got home, I jacked up one side of the rig, and started the truck with the clutch disengaged, then the other side. Neither wheel would turn. Have I broken a rear diff?

yorker
04-17-2012, 06:10 PM
probably a broken rear axle shaft- pretty common. Undo the bolts on the drive flange and see which one is broken. There are a pair for sale for $80 on G&R.

jac04
04-17-2012, 07:06 PM
I thought (hoped) that it was an axle. Once I got home, I jacked up one side of the rig, and started the truck with the clutch disengaged, then the other side. Neither wheel would turn. Have I broken a rear diff?
A broken axle shaft will produce the results you describe. The standard Rover diff will always try to spin the axle with the least resistance, which is the broken side. So, nothing will happen. Now, I guess it is possible that you've broken a diff, but not as likely as a broken axle shaft.

scott_b
04-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Ok, I pulled the drive flange off on the right side and removed the axle. Or most of it. It is a broken axle (whew!) and it broke at the splines on the inboard end. So now the question is, how do I remove the remaining stub?

I Leak Oil
04-18-2012, 05:43 PM
It's worth the effort to remove the other shaft and remove the diff to clean it all out. With some luck you can get it out without the broken stub holding it up. Look on the bright side, you get topractice this in your driveway before needing to do it in the woods somewhere!

scott_b
04-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Ok, forgive me for sounding like a rookie, but um, I'm a rookie. If I remove the left side shaft and disconnect the drive shaft, can I then remove the differential as a unit? Are there any gears or anything that will fall out? Do I have to pre-load any thing on the re-install?

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice.

jac04
04-18-2012, 06:23 PM
^^Yes. Remove both axles, then remove the differential as a unit. You don't need to re-adjust anything and nothing will fall apart.

jonnyc
04-18-2012, 06:55 PM
I broke some teeth on my rear diff and replaced the whole innards a few years back. I was pleasantly surprised at how "not-too-difficult" it was (I won't say e--y). As already posted, it's worth taking it all apart to remove any bits that might be a problem later.

JimCT
04-18-2012, 07:44 PM
pull both axles, use a 22 rifle cleaning rod to slip past the spider gear and put it against the broken axle stub, give it a nice hard shot and the stub will move close enough you can fish it out with a bit of wire. Got so i could do the axle change in about half an hour.