PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 diesel head on a 2.25 block

Linus Tremaine
04-21-2012, 06:46 PM
All,
I have two land rovers, both with the 2.25 diesel engine. My 109 needs to have the head serviced including valve guides, valve grind, valve seals etc. My 88 has what I believe is a 2.5NA head on it. It has HRC 1474 cast into the head. Before rebuilding my 2.25 head on the 109, I have considered that there might be some benefit to the installation of a 2.5NA head on a 2.25 block- I assume that it was done for a reason. So, my question is, what are the benefits, if any, and should I just buy a 2.5 head to put on my 109 so that it can have the same "upgrade" as the 88?

http://www.series2club.info/forum/Themes/green_theme/images/icons/modify_inline.gif

o2batsea
04-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Benefit like what? It won't make it any faster if that's what you're thinking.

Usually the only thing that really goes are the valve guides. You will replace those and the seals. Valves, unless bent, should be good.
Are you doing this yourself? If so it is good to have a valve guide driver to get them in.

I Leak Oil
04-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Benefit like what? It won't make it any faster if that's what you're thinking.
That's what he's asking, if there are any benefits.
If it is a 2.5 head I can't really see any real benefit. It's possible that it was done because it was available.

Linus Tremaine
04-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Right- I am trying to find out why this was done and if it is a good idea. I think it might improve flow characteristics, but not much else.