PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifold gasket help

artpeck
04-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Removed the exhaust and intake manifolds today without mishap. Found that there was both the full gasket that covers intake and exhaust as well as two metal gaskets on the intake manifold. I don't see these listed as a part nor does the green book call for them that I can find. I am certain that they are oem as this is a very low mileage engine and the single PO did maintainence but no work like this. Can anyone shed light on whether I should simply go with the new single gasket, reuse (probably not a good idea but..) the old metal gasket as well or try to find them? All help as always appreciated.

(and if you are wondering why i took these off I had found that the down pipe had pulled away from the manifold quite significantly. Despite a massive and prolonged PB attack the studs sheared and refused my attempts to get them out by all conventional means. So a new exhaust manifold is going in. Was very worried when I was removing the nuts and bolts from the block but everything thankfully behaved.)

bkreutz
04-22-2012, 01:13 AM
# 26 in this picture http://www.roversnorth.com/c-38-manifolds.aspx unless I'm misunderstanding you this gasket and the long one between the manifolds and the head are the only ones.

lincoln lass
04-22-2012, 03:38 AM
Original spec was for the metal gaskets on the inlet and nothing on the exhaust ports. However you can get exhaust gaskets that include both the metal inlet gaskets and a one piece gasket covering both inlet and exhaust. Discard the metal and just fit the one piece gasket.

I got mine as a cylinder head overhaul set. Fitted and working perfectly.

Hope this helps. Regards Brian

artpeck
04-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks both of you. I have both gaskets. The long gasket for manifolds to block is just a composite material. Doesn't include the metal part and there is no metal on the composite. When I disassembled I found the long composite and separate metals pieces. Hence my question. I will go with the composite and assume that 40 years has yielded improvement in gasket materials and the factory knows what is is doing. Appreciate the help.