PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount hilift jack on series 88 with soft top.

derek
04-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Where are people mounting their hi-lift jacks on their rigs with soft tops.

I have a 48 inch hi-lift jack and these mounts

Pictures and recommendations are welcome!

-Derek

I Leak Oil
04-23-2012, 11:17 AM
The 48" mounts nicely with those brackets inside, on the back of the seat bulkhead. I've seen many trucks with it mounted vertical on the rear corner of the truck, not necessarily with those mounts. This keeps it outside the vehicle.

pjsank
04-23-2012, 11:55 AM
I mounted mine on the back of the seat bulkhead, as I Leak Oil suggested. No need to advertise that you have the jack, and it keeps it out of the elements.

ThePhotographer
04-23-2012, 12:43 PM
It's certainly open to personal preference, and granted this is a truck cab, but I saw this at the Winter Romp.

yorker
04-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I mounted mine on the back of the seat bulkhead, as I Leak Oil suggested. No need to advertise that you have the jack, and it keeps it out of the elements.

This is especially important, I can't count how many times I've seen people who have mounted their jacks to their bumper or rear crossmember only to find out it is rusted or gummed up when they need to use it.

ducttape
04-23-2012, 01:17 PM
I have mine in both places. The bulk head rattles and the rear quarter panel I am sure gets weathered up (although I haven't had that happen yet) The rattling was driving me nuts. I would imagine you could also mount it on the front bumper, horizontally. Wouldn't solve the gumming up but it will keep it out of site and ear shot.

I Leak Oil
04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
I have the mounts behind the seat bulkhead, probably going to make a mount for the rear corner so when the truck is full of stuff it's easy to get to. For the most part mine stays mounted in the garden shed where it gets the occasional use around the house. I rarely have ever needed it for the truck. That is a whole other debate though!

Cutter
04-23-2012, 07:57 PM
I have mine mounted on the back crossmember corner, where a PO welded a tab with pins for locating it. Figured I should reuse what was there and I just spray the mechanism now and then. Front bumper was my next choice. 6253

1971Series88
04-24-2012, 07:22 AM
here is an old picture of mine - before I took it off! They may look cool, but do you seriously use it offroad and beat it up enough in order to need one?

o2batsea
04-24-2012, 09:50 AM
It's a sit around for sure. Even for off-road. If you go with someone who has a winch, they tend to want to pull you out of a stuck. They insist on it actually. Gives them a justification for the 2 large they spent on the bumper, the winch and the spectra. I bought one twenty years ago and I've used it exactly once. Forty pounds of dead weight you have to buy gas for.

rwollschlager
04-24-2012, 10:58 AM
here is an old picture of mine - before I took it off! They may look cool, but do you seriously use it offroad and beat it up enough in order to need one?

personally, yes, but that is up to the individual. Some people may not off road as much as others, and those who do may have friends with winches, but I always carry it with me inside the 88 and its gotten me unstuck and out of the woods more than enough times to justify carrying it. It also depends on how you get stuck, in some situations pulling may not be the answer to get out, and a jack is all it takes.

I Leak Oil
04-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Exactly Rob. The debate to hi-lift or not to hi-lift is akin to the 90wt vs. grease in the swivel debate. In the end it really doesn't make a difference. Do what makes you happy. I think the thread is based on how\where to mount it so the decision has already been made to carry one. It's another tool, it's not a substitute for a full on vehicle mounted winch.

Cutter
04-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I keep it on my truck in case I need to change a tire, overkill but thats my logic.

east high
04-24-2012, 11:48 AM
What's the alternative? Did series trucks come with a bottle jack? I don't have either and a bottle jack would be easier and cheaper to deal with than a hi-lift for flats and stuff.

yorker
04-24-2012, 11:58 AM
What's the alternative? Did series trucks come with a bottle jack? I don't have either and a bottle jack would be easier and cheaper to deal with than a hi-lift for flats and stuff.

Yes they did. Sometimes you can find them on ebay if you want an original.

pjsank
04-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Bottle jack is easier to deal with IMHO. If you are just changing tires or checking play on the truck, a bottle jack does the trick. Of course you need a pair of jack stands.
Where do you actually place the Hi-Lift to jack up the vehicle for a tire change? I went for the wheel yoke attachment after I got some Wolf vented wheels. I couldn't get the hooks of the yoke into the old style wheels. This setup still requires jack stands to support the vehicle.

I Leak Oil
04-24-2012, 03:09 PM
I think it's generally accepted as being ill advised to use a farm jack to change a tire without using that wheel attachment. By the time you get the body up enough to take up the suspension droop the vehicle is pretty unstable. In most situations a bottle jack is a much better tool for simply changing a tire. Bottle jacks can also be use to bend you junk back into place and they fit into a lot of places a farm jack does not. Again, just another tool.

John O from Jersey
04-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Just a note on the bottle jacks. If you don't mind "non-originality for your Series, the Disco and Rangie hydraulic bottle jacks are the ticket.

Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-HYDRAULIC-JACK-AND-SPARE-WHEEL-TOOLS-/150800249916?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item231c65343c&vxp=mtr

They're 2 stage so they have plenty of lift distance, well made, and if you're patient, you can get one pretty cheap on Flea-Bay. (I think I paid 30). You could probably get one for 5 bucks if you know the right junk yard guy.

JO

east high
04-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Tools, yup. I noticed LR bottle jacks have a half loop on top to cradle the axel housing. Do you think a bottle jack from a Disco or RR would be tall enough for a series with 16" wheels?

John O from Jersey
04-24-2012, 03:49 PM
yup - it's a 2 stage piston so it's twice as tall as it looks in the picture. I have 235/85 16's on my Series and it cradles under the axle perfectly and lifts as high as I could ever ask.

JO

Alk-3
04-24-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm surprised by many of you guys saying you don't use one, or that it's not worth carrying one around. I had not really thought too much about the bottle jack, which would work fine I suppose. My truck came with a high lift, and it's mooted in the back along the floor against one of the wheel wells. it's a real pain to hget at, especially with anything in the back. I purchased the mounts that the OP shows, and was planning to mount the jack on the rear of the truck, standing up. I have not done it because I'm concerned with corrosion.
All that aside I use my jack at least once a month. I use it for changing tires (tire rotation), which I do every time I change the oil. I also use the jack when I'm working on the truck, if I need to. I jack the truck up using the rock sliders that are on my truck, or even the bumper if need be.
Anyway, I'm interested to hear more about where you guys would mount the jack, as I'm tired of struggling just to get it out of the truck.

o2batsea
04-24-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm surprised by many of you guys saying you don't use one, or that it's not worth carrying one around. I had not really thought too much about the bottle jack, which would work fine I suppose. My truck came with a high lift, and it's mooted in the back along the floor against one of the wheel wells. it's a real pain to hget at, especially with anything in the back. I purchased the mounts that the OP shows, and was planning to mount the jack on the rear of the truck, standing up. I have not done it because I'm concerned with corrosion.
All that aside I use my jack at least once a month. I use it for changing tires (tire rotation), which I do every time I change the oil. I also use the jack when I'm working on the truck, if I need to. I jack the truck up using the rock sliders that are on my truck, or even the bumper if need be.
Anyway, I'm interested to hear more about where you guys would mount the jack, as I'm tired of struggling just to get it out of the truck.
This is how we thin the herd. While you may find doing work with the truck up on a Hi Lift perfectly OK for you, I wouldn't get anywhere near one jacked up like that.

Cutter
04-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Aye I use a jack stand if I'm doing something at home, but I guess I'm wild and crazy and would be ok changing a tire if needed with it...

Alk-3
04-24-2012, 11:37 PM
This is how we thin the herd. While you may find doing work with the truck up on a Hi Lift perfectly OK for you, I wouldn't get anywhere near one jacked up like that.

:confused: I don't work on it while it's on the jack. I use the jack to get the truck onto jack stands.