PDA

View Full Version : Brake/clutch OEM remote fluid reservoir lines - pics needed

4flattires
04-23-2012, 03:38 PM
edit today 4/29:

Now just pics needed of how those 2 supply lines route from the remote reservoir.

Can someone help with pics please so I may fab some up?

Thanks!

TeriAnn
04-24-2012, 08:23 AM
..or even just the fittings to fab them up. I'll need both which are missing off my S2A 109. Any leads?

Whenever I needed Series LR brake fittings I purchased them from Rovers North. I assume they still have new British hydraulic fittings. I get the premade brake lines with US fittings at both ends from my local auto parts store, cut off one flare, swap the US fittings with the British spec fittings, bend the tube for my application then make a new flare from a tool I purchased from Eastwood. My entire hydraulic system on both my Dormobile and my TR3A were made up that way.

I have found the generic premade British brake lines that come coiled up always a bit too long and I never could get a good looking straight run from coiled tubing.

4flattires
04-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks Teri, our hosts have just the male fittings. At this point I have found what I believe to be the correct fittings but need to know:

1. From the OE metal reservoir, which has 2 male fittings, is the tubing that mates into the reservoir a single flare? (for both the brake and clutch feed lines).

TeriAnn
04-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks Teri, our hosts have just the male fittings. At this point I have found what I believe to be the correct fittings but need to know:

It has been a while since I have looked but BP used to and maybe still does carry the hard lines between the remote reservoir and the master cylinders. Since we are in RN territory I wanted to suggest them first.

1. From the OE metal reservoir, which has 2 male fittings, is the tubing that mates into the reservoir a single flare? (for both the brake and clutch feed lines).

NEVER EVER A SINGLE FLARE on a automobile hydraulic line. ALWAYS either a double flare of a bubble flare. Our Series trucks was almost always exclusively use double flare fittings. Bubble flares seem to be more of a metric vehicle type fitting.

SafeAirOne
04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
ALWAYS either a double flare of a bubble flare. Our Series trucks was almost always exclusively use double flare fittings.

While I agree with this statement generally, I've gotta add that the lines to the remote reservoir see no pressure at all except that provided by the weight of the fluid in the reservoir, so if single flares will seal against the fittings correctly, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it in this application if you only have access to a single-flaring tool.

antichrist
04-25-2012, 03:20 PM
There are number of places that sell the fittings online, doesn't have to be a Rover parts house. Get the fittings and make your own lines. You can get copper nickel brake line at NAPA.

4flattires
04-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks Tim, I have pursued that and found where fittings are available. Their shipping price hurts, but you pay to play....eh?

Separately, I do plan on double flaring (and am aware of the cautionary note in this thread), but am still looking for confirmation of what came from the factory for this non pressure application. If someone can shed light on that, great.

antichrist
04-25-2012, 08:42 PM
If you mean what kind of flare, IIRC, double flare. It wouldn't have been a single flare.

4flattires
04-26-2012, 02:45 PM
I believe I am in the final stages of the sourcing. Would someone be kind enough to take a few pics of both lines as they exit the external reservoir so I can fab up something with bends that would look stock-ish?

Paleeeze? ;)

4flattires
05-02-2012, 10:19 AM
To the top again....just a request for pics of routing to keep things looking stock-ish.

TIA!

o2batsea
05-02-2012, 11:17 AM
I'll get a pic tonight I just happen to have the old molasses tin reservoir under my workbench.

4flattires
05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Much appreciated.

Because this had no pedal towers or reservoir tin when I got it, I would fathom a guess that the supply lines need to run downhill with no upturns anywhere, otherwise it would not feed the m/c's correctly.