PDA

View Full Version : Charge light gauge not working

WilsBoar
04-23-2012, 08:42 PM
New alternator and solenoid installed but the dash charge indicator light is not working and when I unhook the battery cables she dies. Shouldn't the engine still run if the battery cables are removed? Sound like bad wiring somewhere? When should the charge light actually come on if it was working properly?

WilsBoar
04-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Partial answer....no bulb and the bulb connector broken in half. Best place to find a replacement connector/bulb?

Still have the issue with not running without the battery hooked up.

4flattires
04-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Couple of questions, comments.

Do you have a digital volt meter for testing? If not, you really should have one.
Is your alternator, internal or externally regulated?
Alternators and solenoids are for different circuits (charging vs starting), so not really related in this case.
I'm guessing you have a light, not a charge gauge, do advise.
I'm unclear on your last question, but the light should naturally go off (unlit) when charging properly.

SafeAirOne
04-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Not running without battery connected = alternator not putting out voltage.

WilsBoar
04-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Rigged a two wire switch to the wires of the bad bulb connector and she runs with the battery cables off now. Is that supposed to be wired like that?

Tested the alt and she is putting out at least 12-13 volts (internally regulated), and the charge light is only a light and not a gauge. Understand the light should go off if charging naturally.