PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating the Speedometer

mike_cyul
04-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Just redoing my speedometer, and have read that the main shaft should be greased. Does anyone know what kind of grease is best for this application, given that whatever the previous owner had put had gummed up over time (and snapped the speedo cable)? Or is it best perhaps to use a teflon-powder type? Or none at all, given that it turns with very little friction, and there is a school of thought that says lubricants just attract dirt in these kinds of things. :confused:

Thanks,

Mike

crankin
04-25-2012, 04:07 PM
oil...not grease

Revtor
04-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Would a "dry" cable be responsible for the speedo to be jumpy? Mine waves around +-20mph.. I envision the cable needing some lube..?

anyone solve this issue?
~Steve

1971Series88
04-26-2012, 08:38 AM
THere is a new product - based on SOY that is available at your local Home Depot. I swear by it to lubricate anything - it DOES NOT attract dirt, nor retain dirt like a WD40 or other type of oil...like I said it is magic stuff - and I plan on using it when my speedo cable arrives from Ike, and i redo the broken one I have. If like me you don't like squeeks ANYWHERE...this stuff is the bomb!! I actually use all their products, and always have the cans ready...much better to use than petroleum based products PLUS it is better for the environment etc....you can read all about the products - they all ROCK! - enough ranting.
http://www.nutekformulations.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BET-0001

Tim Smith
04-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Would a "dry" cable be responsible for the speedo to be jumpy? Mine waves around +-20mph.. I envision the cable needing some lube..?

anyone solve this issue?
~Steve
Hi Steve.
It could do that if it was binding from lack lube but I've also see wavy speedometers caused by the wire being loose and flopping about in the engine bay or underneath. See if you have a big section that is unclamped and zip tie it to something. Also make sure it isn't rubbing the exhaust or anything else that could pinch. See if that helps but if not then you might need to lube the cable.

I usually use 3 in 1 oil for lubing things like this. Don't know if this is the best thing for it but it's low tech and I like that enough.