PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Series 2A new front drums binding

rovercrazy
04-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Installed all new shoes , wheel,cyls,and drums for front.Everything fine except the replacement drums have only one tapered screw hole and when i put them on and tighten that screw they lock up.I am told that they are the proper replacement for that year.Any ideas?

SafeAirOne
04-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Too bad you can't get decent drums nowadays...

With the drums on, did you step on the brakes a time or two to get the shoes aligned with the drums then try to tighten the screw?

Also, I might try to turn the drum/hub till the screw is at the 12:00 position so I have the best chance of centering the drum on the axle before I tighten it and install the wheel.

jac04
04-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Use your lug nuts to seat the drum, then check for binding. As Mark pointed out, step on the brakes to align the shoes before checking for binding. If everything is OK, just go ahead and install the wheel without the single drum screw in place. If you still get some binding, thoroughly clean the mating surface on the hub to get rid of any rust or built-up paint. Then do it all again.

rovercrazy
04-26-2012, 07:32 PM
I dont have brake lines hooked up yet.I am just assembling the brakes and wheels.

Crash
04-26-2012, 11:05 PM
I have had this issue and it is a little frustrating. In my case the product came from RN and they dealt with it. Apparently my drum was on spec bit the shoes were not. So after they opened many boxes they found a set that would allow the drum to turn.

If you have older drums and these "oversize" shoes there is no issue bit with brand new drums they bind. I believe the shoes I ended up with are Mintex.

Good luck!

jac04
04-27-2012, 09:24 AM
I dont have brake lines hooked up yet.I am just assembling the brakes and wheels.
Then just back off fully on the adjusters and install the drums using the lug nuts to seat them. Report back on what you find.

BTW, is this an 88 or 109? I'm assuming an 88. If a 109, it's a different animal than the 88 and the front brakes can be a bit of a PITA.

Tim Smith
04-27-2012, 06:38 PM
I have had this issue and it is a little frustrating. In my case the product came from RN and they dealt with it. Apparently my drum was on spec bit the shoes were not. So after they opened many boxes they found a set that would allow the drum to turn.

If you have older drums and these "oversize" shoes there is no issue bit with brand new drums they bind. I believe the shoes I ended up with are Mintex.

Good luck!
2x if this is an 88. There is a known problem with 10" shoes. I forgot who the manufacturer is though.

I'm pretty used to shaving 1/16" up to 1/8" off of the shoe base at the master cylinder meeting surface. Exhaust the other ideas first but in the end, this might be the problem. Yes, it's a silly pain in the back side.

Donnie
04-30-2012, 07:52 AM
If you can find an old timer in an outdated shop, there used to be a radius machine that would fit the shoes to the drum...
These kinda went the way of the DODO bird when the ass-best-us knowledge became well known.........a lot of these machines were scrapped, some were modified to capture the dust.....if tou can find a shop that has one you can fit the shoes to the drum....

[B]THE FUN WILL START WHEN YOU TRY TO BLEED THEM IF IT IS A 109........good luck..............Donnie