PDA

View Full Version : Which ignition coil? 1971 Series IIA

Dietersrover
04-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Hello all.
First thanks for all the great advice and info!

I have a 1971 Series IIA 88 running great and my HA12 ignition coil went bad. I replaced it, and all is good again.
but it got me thinking, what coil are you using?
Thanks in advance

mearstrae
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
I like the coils that put out around 35,000v, this is what I'm using on my Series Hybrid & my Rover 3500, with Pertronix conversions [My R.R. uses a 55,000v HEI conversion]. These coils don't cost any more than stock, but seem to help starting and mileage. Oh, and points coils are points coils and eletronic ignition coils are elecronic ignition coils, no magic involved, it's meerly the Ohms of these coils that is different. Input voltage on some applications is dropped by use of a ballast resistor.

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

pitchrollyaw
04-30-2012, 11:34 AM
My "go to" setup for my older cars is a Bosch Red or Blue coil depending on the vehicle (LR series use Blue), Pertronix and NGK or Denso fine wire plugs gapped at the high limit of spec. Came to this after years of trial and error and bad experiences w/ some new Lucas (or Lucas branded) ignition components. My Series had a recent tune up when I got her, but I went to this and it noticeably improved overall driveability.

w