PDA

View Full Version : 24V to 12Volt - what's the drill?

caperover
04-29-2012, 03:52 PM
With the hope of getting rid of rotting anacondas of braided copper cable crushed between body and frame, simplifying the engine compartment, replacing 45 year old rats nests, and getting back to where there's some color coding I can recognize... I want to convert to a 12 volt system.

Anyone got a checklist of what needs to be done? Good, medicora, bad experiences?

Someone must have done this before - what parts do I need if I want to go with an alternator?
I'm assuming new harness(es), an alternator, mounting bracket, starter, distributor, coil, and I'll part with the milspec plugs.

I figure I can use a 12 to 24V converter to keep the wiper motors happy. Swaping bulbs should not be a problem - although the military headlight reflector are tired. What else to I need to figure in?

deezgunz
05-01-2012, 11:17 PM
read this

http://forums.roversnorth.com/showthread.php?12615-24v-to-12v-conversion&p=84765#post84765

if you have any questions you can pm me

disco2hse
05-02-2012, 12:16 AM
^^what he said^^ plus...

I would suggest you get the correct wiring diagram, photocopy it and mark on it every 24V device and mark them for replacement.

You don't actually need to replace the wiring, but it is a good opportunity to do so.

deezgunz
05-02-2012, 12:43 PM
agreed. correct wiring diagram is a must as well as patience. disco2hse, seriesshorty, and scatterling have been very helpful with my coversion! thanks to our members and host!

^^what he said^^ plus...

I would suggest you get the correct wiring diagram, photocopy it and mark on it every 24V device and mark them for replacement.

You don't actually need to replace the wiring, but it is a good opportunity to do so.