PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox assembly and shifting

Max(SD)
05-03-2012, 12:53 AM
I have made some progress with my gearbox. The main box is assembled with bell housing. I have installed the shifting mechanisms and the shift stalk, and was testing out the gear, third and fourth went smooth, reverse was a little notchy getting in and out, and first and second were very difficult to get in and out.

Is this normal considering no gear oil in the box?

In my rebuild, I re-used the oblong and round silver balls that go between the shifting mechanism. Could this account for the difficulty in shifting? Should I just go and buy new ones?

Should I lubricate the those silver ball bearings if so with what?

Thanks

Les Parker
05-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Did you replace any of the springs? This would be the usual practice, whilst you have the box apart. Also replacing the shifter selector seals and the seals on the detents.

Assembly grease would be used if the trans. was not going to be used for a while, to deter the build of any corrosion internally.

This would also assist in the gears meshing/running together smoother.

gudjeon
05-03-2012, 11:16 AM
I would also make sure that you rotate the input shaft a bit as you make your shifts on the bench. Pretty straight forward, I know, but could make a difference.

Max(SD)
05-03-2012, 03:41 PM
replaced shifter selector seals, and springs as well as seals on the detente.

What do you mean by assembly grease? Is this a specific product? and do I put this on grease on the new springs and the steel balls.

bkreutz
05-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Shifting the trans on a bench is not a real accurate way of checking the operation of the shifter. If you get in a manual trans vehicle, not starting the engine, try shifting without (or with) the clutch pedal you will not get smooth shifting, or it may not shift into certain gears, depends on where things stopped moving. Try rotating the input shaft (as was suggested earlier) and I think you will find it easier.

Max(SD)
05-06-2012, 09:02 PM
63546355I have installed new clutch, and reinstalled the main gearbox onto the Rover. A couple of questions,

1. I can get into all four gears fairly easy, but can not engage reverse. I try to turn the shaft manually but this is not engaging. Any suggestions?

2. I have reattached the bracket for the slave cylinder. However, I can not remember if this is normal, when I disconnected, does the push rod going into the slave cylinder does it just float, or is it attached to the slave cylinder. Mine looks like it just floats, is this normal?

Also assembled most of the transfer box and front drive shaft. New bearings all around, and just a few gears that needed to be replaced.