PDA

View Full Version : Which brand of parts to use?

cochranmd04
05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Which part brands would you recommend for an engine rebuild for a Series IIA petrol? I'm a bit leery of using low priced components. Which parts are being made in the UK or US? I heard that many are now produced in the East. Any advice would be much appreciated.

albersj51
05-04-2012, 10:47 AM
You cant go wrong with Genuine. However, I went with AE (Federal Mogul) pistons/rings and bearings in my rebuild. They cost more than say AllMakes, but to me it was worth the piece of mind. Water pump I went with proline as its fairly easy to replace. Timing chain, and timing parts I would either go genuine or the best quality manufacturer you can afford. Stay FAR FAR away from anything in a Britpart bag. Basically, if its internal spend the extra money for top quality parts. If its external like a water pump or T-stat, then just get proline/generic. Thats my .02

cochranmd04
05-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Sounds like a good idea. I don't mind paying more for quality. I remember buying new old stock pistons for my Triumph T100 because I heard horror stories of aftermarket parts. Thanks for the advice.

cedryck
05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Parts choice, I have had good luck with Proline, our hosts will concur, I have been disappointed with some aftermarket parts particuarly when they are made to help stop your truck. Cannot beat OEM always depends on $. I would as alberj51 points out spend money where money needs to be spent internals of an engine, drivetrain, electrics, and I would add items that help stop truck. You are right some aftermarkets are made far far away in the east.

crankin
05-04-2012, 11:40 AM
If your pistons are .30...good luck! I jsut rebuilt my engine and had to search the US for aftermarket. Genuine was $100+ ea.

The allmake tappets do not work with my genuine stuff.

siii8873
05-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I recently bought some swivel balls from someone and after receiving them see they are "britpart". Anyone have experience with these? From note above stay far far away I'm concerned with using them. Any experience would be appretiated

HybridIIA
05-08-2012, 07:58 PM
I recently bought some swivel balls from someone and after receiving them see they are "britpart". Anyone have experience with these? From note above stay far far away I'm concerned with using them. Any experience would be appretiated
I think you will be fine - sent you a PM.

o2batsea
05-09-2012, 07:06 AM
The stocks of Genuine Series parts is rapidly drying up as you are probably aware. The decision point then becomes not which parts do I use, but rather which components can I swap with modern equivalents? Those can still be had in bags that have green ovals on them.
Rebuilding an engine is rarely cost effective. In the case of a Series Rover the decision has to be one of "keeping it original" vs putting in an engine that will make you happy. There are multitudes of choices if that is the goal. If it is originality, then I would argue that having the 2.25 Rover lump neither adds to or takes away from the overall value. On the other hand if a 200 Tdi has been installed or even a 4.0, it would certainly make the truck far more attractive, as it will handle the interstates way way better.

jac04
05-09-2012, 08:21 AM
^^ This is great. The OP was asking for advice on what part brands to use on his engine rebuild, and he gets told 'it's not cost effective, do an engine swap & put in an engine that will make you happy. And if you're concerned about originality, don't worry, swapping out the engine won't affect the value.' It's just funny to see the advice people get when they ask what appears to be a fairly specific question.