PDA

View Full Version : swamp cooler for the car?

slorocco
05-08-2012, 04:08 PM
This would be slick in the rover if I didn't live in the hot humid mid atlantic area.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CAR-SWAMP-COOLER-HOT-ROD-RAT-ROD-VW-BOMB-ACCESSORY-/140748874593?hash=item20c5496361&item=140748874593&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

o2batsea
05-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Nice Dan, but kinda weird.

SafeAirOne
05-08-2012, 05:43 PM
This would be slick in the rover if I didn't live in the hot humid mid atlantic area.

...and if you had a Rover with roll-up windows.

bkreutz
05-08-2012, 06:14 PM
...and if you had a Rover with roll-up windows.

Or, depending on your Rover, it may fit in the gap between the door top and the roof. ;)

Apis Mellifera
05-08-2012, 06:20 PM
I made this portable air conditioner for about $100. 6369 I've yet to make provision for the condensate, but it works well for my commute. My dad told me once that you could rent those window coolers while driving across Death Valley. Pick it up on one side, drive through the desert, and turn it in for you deposit on the other side. I assume the ebay one is filled with ice like the ones he told me about. Unless you get the humidity out, I think the comfort level would be greatly reduced.

greenmeanie
05-09-2012, 12:57 PM
In the dry desert southwest the trick is to a.) have a IIA with a metal dash and direct access to the vents but that is just common sense really b.) roll up a towel, soak it in water and lay it along the top of the dash. Instant swamp cooler. I did thousands of milse through the AZ summer using this. No substitute for proper AC but makes a difference all the same.

slorocco
05-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Nice Dan, but kinda weird.

Yeah, I know.
Probably why it appeals to me.

east high
05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
In the dry desert southwest the trick is to a.) have a IIA with a metal dash and direct access to the vents but that is just common sense really b.) roll up a towel, soak it in water and lay it along the top of the dash. Instant swamp cooler. I did thousands of milse through the AZ summer using this. No substitute for proper AC but makes a difference all the same.

I'll remember this one. Last time I had a long haul in the summer I chucked a bag of ice next to the transmission tunnel to block the heat. The meltwater ran out gap in the door.