PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions on intalling new harness

bmohan55
05-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Even though I took pitcures and notes I have three "mystery wires" unconnected behind the instrament cluster.

First one is purple with white trace that comes down frm the upper dash alongside the wiper motor. Only thing I can think of is it's for the dome light?? If so where would it plug in? I can't find any reference to this color wire in any of the wiring diagrams.

Second wire is solid green coming from the electrical oil pressure gauge, no idea where that may plug in at.

Third is a bit harder to explain, there is a "sub harness" that connects mostly to my 4-way flashers that plugs into my new stock main harness. There is a group of wires coming from it as folllows:

A brown and a green/white tracer wire goes to the "flasher unit" mounted on the top left of the dash.
A green/yellow tracer goes to another flasher unit along side of the other one.
A green wire comes from this same group but I have now idea where it goes.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Bob

BTW, I'm actually enjoying working on the old girl again!

crankin
05-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Purple white = Dome light
It goes to the dash light switch...take a voltage meter and switch to the terminal that has power when all the way up/down.
The wire runs under the center metal piece on your windscreen, over the roof and into the dome.

Brown (Main battery lead)
Green (Accessories fused via ignition switch)
Green Yellow = Heater motor to switch single speed (or to 'slow' on two- or three-speed motor)
Green White Direction indicator switch to right hand flasher lamps

Here is a good link: http://www.fourfold.ca/LR_FAQ/Series/FAQ.S.wires.html

On a side note:
The way that rover wired this thing up was to flip one switch on for headlamps and then flip another switch to turn the dash panel lights on. So, you would have to flip two switches to get your headlamps on and dash lights on.

You can wire in the dash light wire into the headlamp switch so that when you flip the headlamps on the dash lights come on automatically. Freeing up the dash light switch for your dome light and another acc (i.e. hella lights, etc..). Granted you would want to run a relay in-between the lights and switch if you wired in hellas.

bmohan55
05-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Thanks, I read about switching the dash light around and have done that already. I'm thinking that both the mystery greens may not even be used...really the only place available to plug in at is the fuse box. My plan it to finish connecting everything in the engine bay and the lights then hook up the battery cables to my battery charger and set it at 2 amps. This should allow me to check my work without burning up another harness.

Any other suggestions out there?

got to thinking, maybe the green wire from the oil pressure gauge need to plug into the remaining tab on my voltage stabilizer????