PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed with Transmission Brake lever

Escargo
05-09-2012, 06:27 PM
My handbrake quit working several months ago and I decided to look at it today. Well, actually the brake works, but the lever does not "catch". My truck is a '64 lla 88. The Green Bible does not seem to have the exact setup I have. From what I can see, the brake catch (or dog) does not catch on the toothed rachet piece. But I can make it catch by holding it manually.
Is the plunger rod spring the only tension for the dog to catch? The plunger button moves but is stiff.

Thanks in advance, Hans

J!m
05-10-2012, 06:04 AM
I suggest disassembling the entire thing and cleaning, lubing and replacing any and all springs.

My '71 brake handle did the same thing, but in my case the dog rusted into the lever...

Everything must be cleaned of rust (ideally polished) painted, slathered in axle grease and put back together. The salt spray rusts the parts inside (this includes the springs) and they get rough working (best case) or break (worst case).

I think there are two springs- one for the button and another for the dog (in a '71 anyway), but 'm going from memory so I could be totally wrong too...

stomper
05-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Unscrew the silver button on your brake lever, spay PB blaster down the handle and reassemble. Spray PB blaster onto the joint where the brake catch pivots, and work it back and forth. Once it frees up, (if it frees up), use white lithium grease to relube everything.