PDA

View Full Version : New Series IIA Owner... Have to get it home

dreddub
05-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Hey everyone. New member :Dand (almost) new owner of a 1968 Land Rover Series IIA.

Haven't seen it yet, but pictures look great and previous owner assures me its in good shape, runs well, etc. Only problem is getting it home. Its 800 miles away.:rolleyes:

I have an 06 Odyssey which Uhaul will rent a vehicle dolly for. So if I understand correctly, to do this, I have load her up and then disconnect the rear drive shaft... Can someone tell me how to do that?:confused:

I would like to use a flat trailer, but I don't own/can't borrow a truck large enough to use a vehicle trailer from uhaul, and to rent a truck/trailer from them is so expensive I might as well have a shipping company do it (~$1300).:mad:

Only other option is I could rent a Tahoe (~$425) and tow a vehicle trailer with it, but that would be 'against the rules'.:nono:

So is it OK to trailer on a vehicle dolly for 800 miles with the drive shaft detached as long as the tires are good and full of air?

I'm excited, but bummed out about not being able to tow the way I want to (flat trailer). Any other ideas?

Thanks

Dreddub

4flattires
05-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Well.......where the heck are the pics? We wanna see them too.

Welcome aboard, you'll find this group helpful, humorous, and insightful. Check Craigslist for towing deals, trailer rentals, put the word out there and get some networking done. Someone always has a trailer. You just need to beat enough bushes.

siii8873
05-13-2012, 05:27 AM
1300 seems a little high for shipping 800 miles. I have shipped a few vehicles over the years and it's usually about a wash from what it would cost to go get it when you consider, gas, hotel rooms,,,,..,

dreddub
05-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Well.......where the heck are the pics? We wanna see them too.

Welcome aboard, you'll find this group helpful, humorous, and insightful. Check Craigslist for towing deals, trailer rentals, put the word out there and get some networking done. Someone always has a trailer. You just need to beat enough bushes.

Should've known there'd be a cry for pics... The only ones I have are from the online listing and they won't save to my photobucket... If I just copy and paste, the post is too large and won't post.

I'll have to ask the seller to send the JPEG's. Anyway... I'll provide a bit of a teaser... She's green with a few dents and some rust in the door handles, but has a galvanised chassis, which I thought to be a redeeming quality. Soon to be mine!!!

So I'll have to look at CL to see if I can rent a trailer from someone... Never thought of that. An online source says the weight of a IIA 88 is 2950 lbs. I've got 3500 towing capacity on the Odyssey... I assume any trailer would be more than 550lbs so I'm probably stuck with the dolly if I want to use my own vehicle, right? Again, I could try to be sly with a rental vehicle... and a rental trailer, but not sure I want to do that.

$1300 was the price for a uhaul truck + plus trailer to bring it home myself that far... I agree, the online quotes for trailering were all less than that... so rather than rent a big uhaul truck + their trailer... I'd just pay someone to do it for me and save some dough.

I'll work on the pics...

Dreddub

Revtor
05-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Honda Odyssey? Id want something bigger to tow with. But if you keep the speed sane, i guess youll be fine.

disconnecting the rear driveshaft from the axle and tying it up and out of the way is the way to go. the PO might even do it for you as you are getting near him on "the big day"

have fun

artpeck
05-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Personally I would bring the truck home on a trailer. I know the PO has told you everything is good but that is still putting 800 miles on the rear end before you have had the chance to go through everything and confirm the mechanical state of the truck. And if something does go bad on the way the hassle factor alone much less the cost would have made a trailer look like genius. My two cents.

antichrist
05-13-2012, 09:00 AM
For an unknown Rover I'd pull the rear diff and inspect the rear hub bearings and pack them well with grease before towing on a dolly.

jimsshuman
05-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Fly to where it is, spend half day "going over/through it", and spend the next 2 days driving home and enjoying your new rover. Put insurance on it when you get there.

I did it several years ago with a buddy. We read as much as we could before we began. Shipped as many parts and tools as we could to where the truck was (Albuquerque). Upon our arrival, he began going over the mechanicals and worked on the electrics. We were done shortly after dark and crashed for the evening. (We also had a helpful PO.) Left first thing in the morning. 600 miles per day for the next 3 days (@ 12 hours per day). Arrived Raleigh, NC evening of the third day with an great trip and story!

73series88
05-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Welcome
Yeh I would go over ot really well
YoU never know what's hiding as far as secrets
That will pop out at the most inoportune
Time
But I guess thats rover ownership.
Pics
Aaron