PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Clutch Slave Cylinder

Max(SD)
05-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Well I have installed gearbox, transfer box, transmission brake and hand brake lever, I have attached slave cylinder, and the clutch feels a little soft so do the brakes.

Since my 59 SII shares brake fluid between brakes and clutch, if I need to bleed the clutch cylinder for any air bubbles, will I have to do the same for the brakes?

What is the best recommended course of action for bleeding the system?

Hoping to start the truck this evening, and do some gear shifts. No prop shafts have yet been installed, new universal joints are being installed as well as balance at local napa. Hope to get them Monday or Tuesday.

siii8873
05-13-2012, 06:41 PM
If the SII is like the IIAs reservoir the clutch and brakes have seperate reservoirs in the tin can. There is a seperate cylinder inside the main one that seperates them, so if so no you can just bleed the clutch.

jac04
05-13-2012, 06:44 PM
No, you do not need to bleed the brakes if you install a new clutch slave. However, if your brakes feel spongy then it would probably be a good time to bleed the brakes.

Max(SD)
05-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Well, connected the battery, and after a few false starts the truck started up, warmed up nicely and idled well.

I still have not bleed the slave cylinder, but wanted to try to shift gears. I filled up gear oil earlier, and had it sit for a couple of hours and kept checking for leaks, non thus far. Will check again in the morning to see if anything developed overnight.

Well here are my issues. 1st through 4th shifted fine, tried to put it in reverse was not going in. Then tried to go through the gears again and gearbox would not engage in any of the gears.

So maybe I need to thorough bleed the system first and then try again.

jac04
05-14-2012, 07:23 AM
I still have not bleed the slave cylinder, but wanted to try to shift gears.

After installing a new clutch slave, you have to bleed it before trying to shift gears with the vehicle running.

SafeAirOne
05-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Yes, you need to bleed the gears to properly release the clutch for shifting, otherwise, it'll grind and/or not shift. These clutch hyd systems are short and just about bleed themselves if you leave the bleeder open and keep the reservoir topped off. To completely bleed them, however, just do it the same way brakes are done: Pump, hold, open, close, release. It only takes a couple times of doing this and you'll be done.

Max(SD)
05-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Is it normal for air to have entered the system, as I never opened the slave and master cylinder, just disconnected when pulling gearbox off?

Max(SD)
05-14-2012, 03:24 PM
I have just bleed the clutch system. Clutch pedal feels fine. With the four wheel drive engaged I can go through all the gears including reverse, reverse is a little hard to get into but it does engage and I can see the movement of both front and rear shafts moving, note there is not prop shafts on the truck at this time, and I can see the transmission drum spinning as well as the front shaft spinning.

However, when I disengage four wheel drive, I have nothing, I can get into all the gears but there is no movement in the transmission drum, no spinning.

Do I have to pull this gearbox out again?

jac04
05-14-2012, 03:28 PM
First make sure that the hi/lo lever is pushed all the way forward. Maybe the x-fer case is in neutral.

Max(SD)
05-14-2012, 05:21 PM
This has been a rewarding learning experience, first off, I have never done anything such as rebuilding a gearbox.

So I figures this out. Took the top cover off the transfer case and put her in gear and tried to see what was happening. I had the transfer case in low gear, red knob pushed back this obviously engages the four wheel drive and that is why forward and rear drive where spinning. However when I pushed the red know forward to engage the high gear nothing was happening.

And I could see from the top opening that the high gear was just spinning. So apparently I have not properly adjusted the red knob transfer case lever as I pushed it forward the lever was hitting the front body of the car not far enough to engage high gear but enough to put the transfer case in neutral. So will have to adjust the lever to make room for this movement. Will report later if this in fact what was my problem.

I am praying it is, the last thing I want is to remove the transfer case, or drain and open it from below.

Max(SD)
05-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Incredible feeling tonight, finally finished all the fine connections with all the levers and all those cotter pins. Double checked all the bolts, put on both front and rear prop shafts. Installed the seats with only 6 bolts just in case I had to take them out again, and went on the Flintstone drive around the neighborhood. Everything sounds and runs great. Hi and lo 2 and 4 wheel drive.

Thanks to everyone for their help along the way.