PDA

View Full Version : New enginge for SIIA 6cyl?

SeaMiler
05-14-2012, 08:13 AM
A post I never wanted to write...

Looks like my engine is done - my LR mechanic, who is good friend and whom I trust, tells me she's beyond saving and it's time to start fresh. I have a '68 109 IIA with a 6 cyl, but not the NADA model. Any suggestions for what I should do? Anyone know if that engine was in other Rover cars so that it will not be as ridiculously hard to find as I think it may be? Find a refurbished 4 cyl (likely perform better than my worn 6 has been), a Turner, something new or something else? HELP!

Revtor
05-14-2012, 08:19 AM
V8 + R380

cummins 4bt

TeriAnn
05-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Anyone know if that engine was in other Rover cars so that it will not be as ridiculously hard to find as I think it may be? Find a refurbished 4 cyl (likely perform better than my worn 6 has been), a Turner, something new or something else? HELP!

If memory serves the P4 Rover car had a 3L version of the LR six that looks almost identical from the outside. But if you want a fresh 6 you almost need to import one from the UK. And parts are getting real hard to find for that engine family.

As an alternative for that 6 cyl engine bay would be a Chevy six, into a Chevy light truck four speed, Advance Adapter's adapter to a Series transfercase, and a cross flow radiator sitting on top of the front crossmember. It would also be a good time to grab a GM power steering pump for the six and a Range Rover P38 power steering unit & convert to power steering. It gives you more space in the engine bay plus single hand stirring at low speeds. Add a rear Salisbury and you have a drive train that you can easily get parts for, is more robust and more powerful.

o2batsea
05-14-2012, 09:08 AM
If you have the 6 cylinder bulkhead, then your best option is either a Rover V8 with R380/LT230 or Tdi with R380/LT230. Cummins will fit too, if you want to go that way.
If you're interested I have a 3.9 with an r380 and LT230 all bolted together and ready to drop in. Just came out of a D90. Came with a chassis I bought. Don't need it.

giftshopduane
05-14-2012, 09:35 AM
What does beyond saving mean? Is there a hole in the block? Crank shot? Aside from catastrophic failure everything can be rebuilt.

Cutter
05-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I had my euro 2.6 rebuilt, looking back I sort of wish I had swapped it out. Funds were limited so I stuck with what was accessible. I worry about a v8 and the stopping power of the stock drums, but it probably would be fine. That said the 2.6 is adequate, if not thirsty and a pain to deal with the exhaust valves. I would take advantage of the space a 2.6 bulkhead offers and go up in power not down with a 2.25.

yorker
05-14-2012, 01:16 PM
I like the idea of swapping in a US 6with overhead valves, There are a number of far more robust and easy to maintain US 6s out there that produce good power, great reliability, timing gears, and are easy to get parts for. The Rover 2.6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOE_engine#Rover_IOE_engines)is a dinosaur- it is a real enthusiast's engine and IMHO offers nothing over a more modern design. If you are interested in 100 point restorations and car shows then it is for you otherwise you'll nearly always be better off with something else. A Dodge slant 6, Chevrolet 250- something like that coupled to a US close ratio 4 speed.

this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Straight-6_engine#250

or this
http://www.allpar.com/slant6.html
--------------------------------------------------------------

If you want a more simple swap the Chevy 4/Mercruiser would be the way to go. You'd need a Land Rover 4 cyl bellhousing and a Scotty's adapter. THIS is probably the most simple swap/upgrade for you and you won't be overpowering any stock parts. Power is good, the engines are great- easy to get parts for, they fit well. Ren Ching has 2 for sale, with the adapters etc:
http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?1530-2-5-Turbo-from-a-defender&p=15740#post15740