PDA

View Full Version : Brake Line Question

milhouse
05-16-2012, 07:12 AM
I'm in the process of installing all new brake lines throughout the Rover, and awhile back I purchased RN's brake line kit (88" dual power brake line kit). My question is regarding the rear brake line joint from the line that runs from the master cylinder to the other side of the bulkhead, and then mates with another line that runs along the frame to the hose just before the rear axle. With the lines supplied in the kit at that joint one line has a bubble flare (with a female threaded fitting) and the other has a double flare (with a male threaded fitting). Can these to fittings be bolted together or is a fitting/union supposed to attach the two? If I remember correctly the old lines both had the same fitting that bolted into a brass union.

J!m
05-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Originally it was a brass union and double flares on both ends but it sounds as if they found a simpler solution to eliminate the union (one less place to leak)... I assume they thread together with no issues and should seal properly based on your description.

Check with RN to be absolutely sure, or cut the bubble flare off, slip on the correct nut and double flare it and use the original brass fitting.

Either way, I'd call RN and see what they say.

I suggest Silicone brake fluid as it does not absorb water and won't strip paint either... (everything must be super-clean when switching so maybe you don't want to bother). I use it on my (sold) series and also my Defender.

NOTE: You CANNOT use silicone fluid on a newer truck with anti-lock brakes!!!

I Leak Oil
05-22-2012, 08:09 AM
NOTE: You CANNOT use silicone fluid on a newer truck with anti-lock brakes!!!

Don't all series come with anti-lock brakes?:sly:

milhouse
05-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the information J!m, I did in fact contact RN and it's exactly what you said... they eliminiated the union. I now have all the lines installed and so far no leaks (at least not while using the brakes in the driveway).

SafeAirOne
05-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Don't all series come with anti-lock brakes?:sly:

Not mine. After it rains or after a really humid night, one of my fronts gladly locks up during the first few uses. The trick is to guess which side it'll be! ;)

J!m
05-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Not anti-lock brakes, but rather anti-STOP brakes! Common error, so no problem!

4flattires
05-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Lets not confuse anti-lock, or anti-stop with semi-stop and random-lock.

Now, just where did I put that partial can of brake fluid......

I Leak Oil
05-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Lets not confuse anti-lock, or anti-stop with semi-stop and random-lock.

Now, just where did I put that partial can of brake fluid......

If you wait you can save yourself some money. That partial can will soon be full (A little water absorption never hurt anything) so you won't need to buy more.:thumb-up: