PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet Mount - Tapping for a longer bolt

pjsank
05-18-2012, 03:43 PM
The wheel and tire combo for my spare can't be mounted on the bonnet with the normal 1/2" BSF ( 3 1/2" long) bolt. Finding a longer BSF bolt has proved fruitless. Who has tapped out the mounting nuts so a longer metric or SAE bolt can be used? What diameter bolt did you go to?

crankin
05-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Just curious, What do you have as a spare?

I would think that if you tapped a new hole you could go with what you want. One could ultimately knock off the nut on the underside of the pie pan and tack a new one on and forgo the tapping all together. The length of the bolt would be the only real concern...to make sure that when the bonnet is down it doesn't mess with the engine.

Things to think about with over-sized tires/wheels. 1) the stress it will but on the underside support 2) stress on the bonnet hinges 3) rubbing on the bonnet

TedW
05-18-2012, 04:37 PM
The wheel and tire combo for my spare can't be mounted on the bonnet with the normal 1/2" BSF ( 3 1/2" long) bolt. Finding a longer BSF bolt has proved fruitless. Who has tapped out the mounting nuts so a longer metric or SAE bolt can be used? What diameter bolt did you go to?

I found a solution to the issue you described. PM me with your email and we'll go over my solution. I'll take some pics of my magnificent, brilliant, and elegant solution tomorrow.....:D

Ted

crankin
05-18-2012, 04:55 PM
I found a solution to the issue you described. PM me with your email and we'll go over my solution. I'll take some pics of my magnificent, brilliant, and elegant solution tomorrow.....:D

Ted

That sounded just like one of those Nigerians telling me that I had just inherited a million dollars from an long lost great aunt.

pjsank
05-18-2012, 04:59 PM
That sounded just like one of those Nigerians telling me that I had just inherited a million dollars from an long lost great aunt.

My Nigerian emailers are always princes.;)

TedW
05-18-2012, 05:01 PM

Yup, pretty much! Clint, I expect your cashier's check in the mail to moi tomorrow.......

Ted

gudjeon
05-18-2012, 11:00 PM
I reinforced the underside of my pie plate and welded on two UNF nuts. I used longer bolts, as I only had one original for some reason. Also, I welded on a hex of the same size (15/16) to the top of the hold down bolts. This way, I can use the same lug wrench to re/re as the tire lugs. Weld carefully, as you are dealing with galvanized metal.

pitchrollyaw
05-19-2012, 11:05 PM
I have the same problem: 'Wolf' wheels & 7.5x16 G90's.

I have a two sets of longer BSF bolts on the way from these folks:

http://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Home_B_S_F__HT_Hex_Head_Bolts_4.html

I also plan to use a trimmed hockey puck as a spacer under the feet of the cams. It is just about the right thickness for my wheel and bonnet combo.

TedW
05-20-2012, 07:48 AM

Paul:

Here is what I did: Drill out the holes and tap 9/16 - 12. Buy a length of 9/16 threaded rod at Ace hardware or KL Jack. Very inexpensive and you can make the bolts as long as you want them.

I then slathered JBWeld on the insides of some new lug nuts and screwed them onto the rods (put the rod sections in a vise with wood on both sides). I don't recall if I needed to sand the threads down first, but no biggie). Then I filled in the top of the lug nuts with JBWeld and let them set up nice 'n smooth.

What you end up with is a bolt you can use with your lug wrench - just like the original bolts. You will notice that I have them set up beveled side down: that's because I took a piece of thick bar stock and drilled out holes - the bolts I made center nicely in them. You will probably want to make them with the flat sides down if you plan to use the stock clamps that came with your truck.

Hope this helps!

Ted

pjsank
05-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The 1 1/16 hex lug nuts point me towards Ted's method, it seems that the hex size would be difficult to find on a longer BSF from the UK. Thanks Ted! That will do the trick.