PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel question

dandruka
05-18-2012, 04:39 PM
I have a 99 Disco I and a nice 5-speed transmission that I got out of my out of my 95 disco. The 95 had a flywheel which I took off and saved, however, after doing some research, I'm now wondering if I there was a different flywheel for the 4.0 as opposed to the 3.9? Does anyone know? Thanks for the help

Dave

mearstrae
05-18-2012, 09:55 PM
The '95 had a distributor, the '99 has no distributor (coil packs and a pick-up system). So the '99 would have to have the flywheel with a reluctor wheel (on the flywheel) and pick-up (on the bell housing) for the ignition system to work. I haven't seen one of the flywheels for a manual trans, just the flexplate for an automatic, set up for the distributorless 4.0's with this toothed wheel riveted on.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

dandruka
05-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Yes, but the 96 and 97's also had the 5-speed option too, right? They were 4.0's. Aren't the blocks (and displacement) basically the same? I was under the impression that the only real difference between the the two were the ignition of course, but also the cross bolting. They just called it the 4.0 to differentiate from the 3.9. This may be a dumb question, but what does the ignition have to do with it and what is a reluctor wheel? I do have the 5-speed bell housing with the unit itself as I knew there was a big difference from that of the auto. I also have the pedal box, clutch cylinder, etc. I've actually switched all of that over. Once I have the radiator, i was hoping I would be all set. I guess I just want to know if and how to take a 5-speed and mate it to a 4.0? I mean they have them overseas, right? It must be possible... Thanks for the help!!

dandruka
05-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Oh, one more thing...

I did obviously remove the torque converter, flywheel and flex plate, shims, and some sort of adapter or spacer that used hex bolts. They were a pain to get off. SO now I am looking at the back of the main seal. I mean, the flywheel from the 1995 5-speed bolts up. So, did you mean that the 5-speed flywheels have the reluctor plate and pick ups already? The 5-speed wheel is much beefier then the auto one. But, at this point, I'm over my head. I just don't want to get this thing together and screw it all up. I just want the right parts. Thanks

mearstrae
05-22-2012, 11:34 PM
The whole thing will bolt together from one to the other..BUT...The gems has an ignition pick-up system on the flywheel (reluctor, toothed wheel thing)and bellhousing (a little tube thing with wires on it, a proximity switch) for the ignition, these act like the pick-up in an electronic distributor. Since it doesn't have a dizzy it has to get the signal to fire the plugs from somewhere. The gems ECU works off this to manage the engine's firing and injection, the old 14cux ECU only has to run the injectors as those engines had distributors. As I noted, I haven't seen the set up for the ignition on a manual trans flywheel or bellhousing, but it has to have something to send the ignition signal to the ECU. As for the five speed it doesn't relate in anyway to what displacement you actually have, your set up would bolt right up to my old 70's 3.5L engines, but it would also work, because they have distributors.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'70 Rover 3500S

dandruka
05-23-2012, 08:00 PM
OK, I'm starting to register all of this =) That makes perfect sense now! The parts you are talking about must exist because I have a buddy who use to have a 97 Disco with a 5-speed.

I did do a bit more research and went to Roverland.com. They actually list a a different flywheel for a 4.0L 5-speed set up. So, ok, I think I have my answer on that...but now something else i noticed. They also differentiate between the Output tail shafts for the 3.9 and 4.0. Would switching these out be a difficult project? I know that question is relative but I do have some mechanical skills. Why would they be different?

Thanks for the help..I appreciate it!

mearstrae
05-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Yes, it must be possible, the only thing I think you need is a bell housing with the sensor provision and a proper flywheel for this set-up. I don't know about the output shaft being different, but since you have both types of transfer cases at hand just compare and see what's what. Oh, is it the output on the transfer box or the trans itself that's supposed to be different? You see I have a friend who also wants to do this swap on his gems Disco, so the combined info might be of help to both of us. (The blind leading the blind so to speak...) We just changed the flywheel on his automatic, that's how I know about the reluctor wheel (that disintegrated) and sensor pickup.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'70 Rover 3500S

dandruka
05-24-2012, 06:25 AM
So I just checked out a couple sites, including Roverland, and all I can find is one listing for 5-speed bell housings for years 94-97 (NAS years where, of course, the 5-speed came as an option). So, i suppose what I gather then is that a 5-speed bell housing off a 95 would accommodate a 97 auto since there is no differentiation between the 94-95 5-speed and 96-97 5-speed. So I have to assume that this sensor provision is on the the bell housing or ... somewhere or located/mounted just off the bell housing?

I'm getting my info here:
http://www.roverlandparts.com/discovery-transmission-parts.aspx

The output shaft is for the transmission and your are right...I guess that doesn't really matter since I have the proper t-case. It just shows a separate part number and listing for that of a 3.9 and 4.0. I

Does your friend have your 5-speed trans yet? I have two 5-speed bell housings in perfect shape if there is a need for one. I'm located in Maine. I had already had one but then was able to get a complete 5-speed drivetrain. BTW, are you anywhere near Grantham PA? Also, where did you find your flywheel?

Thanks

mearstrae
05-24-2012, 11:41 PM
This is perplexing me, so I'll have to get at and do some serious research on this, I'll let you know what I find (if anything...). I live in S.W. Pennsy, near Pittburgh. Don't know what my buddy's in need of, he's a whiz at scrounging parts, and presently on vacation (who knows where...).

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
Rover 3500S

mearstrae
05-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Looked over the RAVE manual and other L.R. forums. Not much info on exact set-up, here's what I found: the sensor is mounted in the engine block oposite side to the starter (that is driver's side) and under the exhaust. Your Gems engine should already have this provision as it's already using this "Crankshaft Position Sensor". Now all you need is the straight poop on the manual flywheel for this transmission that has something to signal the sensor. And the new sensor comes with a spacer one set-up, I suppose, for the automatic and one for the manual

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
'70 Rover 3500S