PDA

View Full Version : Clutch has dying/dead pedal?

LC_rover
05-19-2012, 01:01 PM
My Series III has been sitting for a while, and now I am trying to fix its clutch pedal.

I started losing pedal gradually, and then it got to where I couldn't disengage the clutch to shift one night, and limped home in 2nd gear.

Does this sound more like a slave or a master problem? I have slave off now, and will purchase a new one, and a new hydraulic line to it, but wanted to make sure that I shouldn't be looking at something else?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

SafeAirOne
05-19-2012, 05:26 PM
I sounds like you have a leak in the system. Is the reservoir now empty as a result? It's up to you to determine where the leak is. Nobody can do it from the other side of the internet. There are only 3 componets in the system: Master, slave and lines.

LC_rover
05-19-2012, 06:01 PM
There are only 3 componets in the system: Master, slave and lines.

That's kind of what I wanted to make sure of.

I don't think its leaking from the master, because I pulled the wing off and got a good look at it today, and there's no oil or oil residue there that I can see. It looks like it would have been coming down the clutch pedal, etc. I'll start with the slave I guess. :thumb-up:

4flattires
05-19-2012, 06:55 PM
While you have not mentioned external leaks, please don't discount internal bypassing which has these symptoms. Fluid can bypass those seals, or the seals just turn to goo if bad things have been added to the mix.