PDA

View Full Version : Lug nut cover removal

jonnyrover
05-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Forgive me for being an idiot, or so it feels right now... But can ANYONE tell me how to get the bloody lug nut caps off of my wheels so i can take the stinkin' tire off to replace my brake pads??? My manual doesn't mention how... and i am a first time rover owner. Thanks!
:mad: :confused: :mad: :confused:

acpatsouris
05-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Hey there,

The stainless steel caps on your Discovery's lug nuts are not designed to be removed. They are supposed to be integral with the lug nut(at least in design) but in practice they always work loose. Your options are replacement; RN part number RNX043 or you could pry the loose caps off and leave the nug nut exposed.

jonnyrover
05-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks. I tried half heartedly to remove the lug nuts with the stock wrench but it seemed as though it wouldn't fit on the nut very well. potentially allowing for slippage. Is this normal too? Do i just need to try harder then???

jonnyrover
05-17-2007, 11:42 AM
I had put a call in to a Rover dealer here earlier too... his news was as promising as yours!!! :) He just said they are a pain and to try harder next time!!! HA! :rolleyes: Thanks for the tips Rovers North.

Mike Koch
05-17-2007, 01:38 PM
My guess is that the lug nuts on your Discovery were extraordinarily difficult to remove because they were previously over tightened.

95 lbf ft is the correct setting

Hope this helps,

Mike Koch

jonnyrover
05-18-2007, 09:06 PM
I was starting to wonder if overtighting was an issue. I think i am going to take my rover to the wheel shop and have them loosen and maybe even replace the nuts with something simple. Thanks for the insight.:thumb-up:

Buddy
05-19-2007, 06:28 PM
I was starting to wonder if overtighting was an issue. I think i am going to take my rover to the wheel shop and have them loosen and maybe even replace the nuts with something simple. Thanks for the insight.:thumb-up:

Better take it to a truck tire shop. These lug nuts get tight enough to where a normal impact wrench won't budge them. When I first got my Discovery I had to use my friends 1" drive 1,500ft/lbs impact wrench to get them loose it did the job with out a problem.

Good luck.