PDA

View Full Version : The Polished Bare Aluminum Rover Tips and Help Thread

Alaskan Rover
05-27-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm Starting this thread for all those contemplating stripping the paint and polishing the bare Birmabright of your Series Rover.

I actually started the process SIX years ago.

I began by initiating a 6 year long test to see how weather, sun and acid rain affected bare Birmabright with no coating whatsoever. I stripped all the paint off the hood and back door with chemical stripper and elbow grease...polished it, and then left it totally BARE for 6 years...never touching it except for washing every few months. I also wanted to test using steel wool to strip the paint with (using chemical stripper)...there was NO problem of bits of steel wool embedding in the aluminum and rusting...and no bi-metallic reaction caused by any micron-sized bits of wool. I don't think any steel wool was left behind to cause a problem.

Result: Absolutely NO oxidation or deterioration of the birmabright WHATSOEVER! The aluminum did get slightly dull...but took 3 years even to dull down. No white residue noted anywhere. Structural integrity fully intact everywhere. Six year oxidation test VERY successful....virtually NO oxidation. Birmabright is the most amazing alloy I've seen. It is something like 7% Magnesium; 1% Manganese and 92% Aluminum. I think it must be the Magnesium and Manganese that stops the build-up of surface Aluminum Oxide...but not sure...SOMETHING sure does. This is the same material used on antique planes that haven't seen paint in 65 years!

With those good results of that long-term test...4 days ago I went ahead and stripped the rest of the paint off all the panels in the same fashion. Last-time, however, I just used stripper and Brillo pads....and so I never got a really shiny final polish. This time I did it better....using a series of steel wool from #2 all the way to ultra fine #0000. I chemically stripped it using #0 wool...having to resort to #2 course in a few tough spots.

After all the paint was off...it was polishing time:

I started by using #00 and for whatever reason I continued using the Strip-Eaze...this time as a polishing compound, as the rubbing compound was seeming to turn things dark grey instead of silver. After #00, I went back over the section with #000, and then finally #0000...using less pressure each time. I did ALL aluminum sections this way...even the vents. All panels and vents became shiny.

But now have a conundrum and need help from someone who's already done the FINAL polishing. As you might know....Rover used some sort of chemical etcher before painting...or maybe the birmabright came from the aluminum factory with that yellowish very thin top seal. Anyway, the Birmabright polishes up beautifully shiny....but if you look at it dead-on, you still see the yellowish color in places. This CAN be gotten rid of by MORE useage of steel wool...BUT doing so is difficult to get the pressure uniform. I've done some small test sections and polished away ALL the yellow and it TRULY is gorgeous...but how does one do this to ALL the panels while keeping everything uniform??? If I had a robotic arm lying around, I could do it. But lacking that, I am in a quandry.

Any suggestions on polishing past that yellowish layer while keeping a uniform look without taking WEEKS?

As the whole vehicle is now shiny, I'm stopping here...but I WOULD like to polish past the places where that yellowish tint is. Oddly, the doors don't have that yellowish layer and polished immediately to a beautiful silver.
The fenders are where that extremely thin yellowish tint is.

I have one idea...but is a step I'm scared to take. I can use #2 course steel wool in LINEAR strokes (NEVER use circular strokes with steel wool!!) to get past the yellowish layer...which gives it sort of a brushed stainless steel look...and can leave it that way...at least the yellow would be totally gone...OR I can then start the polishing over again using ever finer steel wool from #0 to #0000. I'm just not sure if the micro-lines from the course #2 wool would still be underneath after polishing with #0000 wool.

Tips I've learned:

1) NEVER use a machine to polish the aluminum...do ALL your polishing by hand, working up finally to a very light pressure when you get to the #0000 wool. The polishing/buffing machines seem to leave tiny little circles in the aluminum..even the random orbital ones.

2) Try and only use linear motions (the exact opposite of what you'd do when polishing a painted car...there I use light circular motion ...just like in Karate Kid. I don't know why this is, but linear seems to do a better job on bare metal...AS long as you are using very light strokes.

3) change wool pads OFTEN.

4) Of the retail-grade chemical strippers, Strip-Eaze seems to work the best. I tried Kutzit...way too weak!

5) Don't use a scraping blade...it causes scratches unless used with surgical precision...and if you're a surgeon, you're probably paying someone else to do the job anyway! If the first coat of stripper doesn't get all the paint off, just apply a second course and use more wool.

6) As it would be silly to now have the aluminum body panels suddenly look great but have cruddy steel firewall, grill panel, hinges and rear bumper...I went ahead and painted grill panel, firewall and rear bumper flat black and the hinges semi-glossn black. Black seems to go very well with silver. I left the top white, as the paint on the top was in excellent shape and waxes well, and white goes well with silver, too!

7) Someone had mentioned that steel wool particles may embed in the aluminum, either causing brown rust spots OR an electrolysis caused by the differing metals. Make SURE, after the final polishing job with steel wool is done, that you COMPLETELY and THOROUGHLY VACUUM all areas of the rover to vacuum away the wool dust. That should get any steel wool particles off. ONLY then can you wash all panels of the Rover with soap and rinse. If you can find BRONZE wool in such fine micro-abrasive grades such as #0000, that would be best...but I've found no such item.

End result?

What an INCREDIBLE difference!!!

The paint was getting ridiculously sun-faded for years...and in many places showing through to bare aluminum. Series Rovers always look good and cool no matter what the paint condition is...but taking a couple weekends and stripping and polishing the aluminum takes what was once a venerable old war-horse and makes it something incredibly show-worthy!! The dings that I've had in it cease to even be seen amidst the polished aluminum, and in fact the dings in the polished panels look even cooler.

My Rover has always turned heads, because I've always kept it looking "safarish" with my tow ropes wrapped around the front military bumper, etc...but NOW it will step over the line into 'show-stopper'. I think a lot of people don't realize that Series Rover bodies are TOTALLY aluminum...when they see a polished bare aluminum one it, startles them.

The few botched polishing jobs with ugly swirl marks I've seen I think came from using circular sander/buffers. Stick to hand polising like they did on the Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, and it will look grand.

Now I just have to figure out if I want to spend a WEEK more, polishing away that yellowish tint on the rear fenders. Still looking for helpful ideas on this!!

Don't paint over the BEAUTIFUL and totally incredible invention of Birmabright...be PROUD of it and GO BARE !!!

Photos coming when I move it out into the sunlight!

siii8873
05-27-2012, 11:22 AM
PICTURES!

albersj51
05-27-2012, 12:35 PM
I believe the yellow you are seeing is where the panel was anodized for corrosion protection /paint adhesion. It will cone off, but takes time and elbow grease

Alaskan Rover
05-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Okay...finally, I've got some photos together. While of an actual GARAGE, I've been doing other necessary repairs and maintenance, so it's taken awhile to get some photos up.

I think it turned out quite well, considering it only took a weekend. I like it better than paint....and it sure has become a head-turner now. Quite distinct from your average Rover now. I'm actually surprised how well it turned out. But I have polish the two doors better now, so they'll better match the polish of the fenders.

Heck of a lot CHEAPER than paint too!!

Total Costs:

A) $34 in Strip-Eaze chemical stripper (3 quarts)

B) $16 in various grades of steel wool from #2 Coarse to #0000 Fine

C) $1.60 for two stripping paint brushes

D) $2.99 for a big bag of rags.

Overall, it was a lot easier than painting, as well ! The Prep needed for painting vehicles is a chore....I'd STILL be doing it!! And I think polished simply looks far better on a vintage land rover.

Here's the pix:

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy274/SoulVoyager/Rover_8_forum.jpg

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy274/SoulVoyager/Rover_1_forums.jpg

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy274/SoulVoyager/Rover_5_forum.jpg

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy274/SoulVoyager/Rover_7_forum.jpg

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy274/SoulVoyager/Rover_2_forums.jpg

Be Proud of your Birmabright and Go Bare !!!

siii8873
05-31-2012, 02:21 PM
that is cool, like it!

1971Series88
05-31-2012, 02:36 PM
To each his own....well done though it will certainly turn heads and is different to all the others.

LH Drive
05-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Nice job.
Paint the wheels gun metal gray.

yorker
05-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Looks good!:thumb-up:

I Leak Oil
05-31-2012, 06:21 PM
I like that too. Looks so natural on a rover.

o2batsea
05-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Must be blinding to others on the road.

I Leak Oil
06-01-2012, 04:45 AM
Must be blinding to others on the road.

Only for the few that dont' have their head down texting.....

J!m
06-01-2012, 07:40 AM
It does look good!

The "yellow cast primer" is zinc chromate etching primer. It is mixed with an acid to etch the aluminum for better adhesion. Chemical stripper will eventually remove it, but unfortunately it is 'sub surface' to some extent, and you need mechanical means to remove it. Great stuff by the way but no longer available (but I have maybe a half gallon kicking around somewhere)...

Paint the top of the (driver's side) front fender semi-gloss black too... You'll thank me later...

1971Series88
06-01-2012, 04:28 PM
You mean when the sun comes up hits the bonnet and blinds him from seeing anything!!

Alaskan Rover
06-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Actually, since I've already had the hood paint-free and polished for six years, I've never had a problem of being blinded by the hood...I thought I would have, but I think it has something to do with the angle of the hood surface.

The topside of driver's side fender...we'll have to see about that! But the first two days I've had it out it had been very sunny and I got no blinding glare off the fender tops.

Oh...thanks, J!m, for the info about the zinc chromate etcher...not that I'm going to paint it ever now, but it's nice to know what I'm dealing with.

It also doesn't seem to cause too much glare to other drivers, as I sorta tested that by walking across the street and looking from various angles.

J!m
06-01-2012, 09:31 PM
My fender top was light green (Pastel green) and it blinded me ONCE- that was enough to decide to paint it, and it was never a problem after that.

Whiterabbit
06-01-2012, 10:02 PM
If ya' want a lot of info on polishing aluminum body panels check out the Airstream Trailer websites. Great info and how to.

ocsddep
06-01-2012, 11:25 PM
I love it. Given the condition of the paint on my truck, I may be using your advice.

Alaskan Rover
07-24-2012, 12:51 PM
I've added a video of the polished Series IIA on YouTube, that shows various aspects of the polished Birmabright perhaps better than the original still pictures. I took this video about three weeks ago, after having the Birmabright sit out in the weather for nearly a month in salty coastal air. I guess I'm STILL doing surfacing testing of the aluminum...just to see if it needs continual polishing.

Now nearly two months out from the initial polishing and being mostly kept outdoors, and little more than just a once a week wipe down with a towel, the alloy still looks very bright and shiny with not much dulling at all. Rain DOES leave slight watermarks, but it does the same thing on paint as well. That's why I wipe it down once a week or so.

While I AM thinking of seeing how a coat of Maguire's wax would look, so far all it ever seems to need is a periodic wipe-down.

Here's the link. I've noticed there is also a vid of an extremely highly polished Series rover that Land Rover actually put together for the 50th Anniversery of Land Rover on YouTube as well...but that one is a little TOO highly polished for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyeV6A-licM

And here, BTW, is the link to that other factory-polished Land Rover that I was talking about above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=zWYJL4ROV9E&NR=1

stomper
07-24-2012, 02:08 PM
As a person who has really gotten into automotive detailing, I would stay away from the wax. the bare aluminum will have a slightly porous texture, and the white wax with leave a reside that will be a pain to remove. try a small test area if you dare.

If it were me, I would apply a coat of rainx. there is no paint, so you don't have to worry about incompatability, and because it is a clear silicone, it will leave no residue to mar the looks. It ought to bead nicely for about 3 weeks or more. :thumb-up:

stomper
07-24-2012, 02:12 PM
just a thought, but I think it would look awesome if you polished out the rest of the roof, and then had a big Union Jack flag adhered to it!

SafeAirOne
07-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Hmm. I'm curious if you've driven it like this when the sun is at lower angles in the sky, especially up there where that could mean a few months straight. I imagine the glare off the bonnet and wings would get rather fatiguing after a while and affect your ability to see stuff.

That's why many larger/multi-engine aircraft have flat black paint on the otherwise-bright, shiny bits ahead and abeam the cockpit.

Of course, I always think in terms of a rover being a daily-driver, so that may not be an issue...

Alaskan Rover
07-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Hmm. I'm curious if you've driven it like this when the sun is at lower angles in the sky, especially up there where that could mean a few months straight. I imagine the glare off the bonnet and wings would get rather fatiguing after a while and affect your ability to see stuff.

That's why many larger/multi-engine aircraft have flat black paint on the otherwise-bright, shiny bits ahead and abeam the cockpit.

Of course, I always think in terms of a rover being a daily-driver, so that may not be an issue...

Indeed it is a daily driver, and has been thus for 25 years.

As to glare from the polished aluminum, I've actually had the paint off the hood for 6 years, and in that time I've never once gotten glare from the hood that's affected my sight. I think, perchance, that it is the angle of the hood that may make the difference. True that I haven't had the paint off the top of the front fenders during that same time, but I've driven it quite a bit in all different angles of the sun, including directly into a sunset and a sunrise, and it STILL does not cause a glare issue.

Thanks, Stomper, for that great hint about using Rain-X instead of wax !! I think I will try that immediately.

It's been about two months since I've "de-painted" the rover...and it still remains shiny. The only thing I need to periodically do is wipe it down maybe once a week with a towel to remove the watermarks left by rain drops and morning dew. I'll try that rain-x on it, hopefully no more watermarks !!!

As to oxidation issues that you bring up concerning salty air....as I've stated, six years ago I Initiated a sort of a "Birmabright" test...by taking the paint off the hood (a horizontal surface) and the rear door (a vertical surface), and polished both and then left them untreated to be driven in the elements ( including a lot salty air, as I am ALWAYS within a mile or so of the coast). That 6 year test showed no topical aluminum oxidation, even with the addition of salt-air. For what it's worth, I don't believe the Navy airframes were made from that same specific aluminum, magnesium and manganese alloy....as I've stated, I'm no metallurgist, but I posit that the addition of manganese to the alloy may indeed combat oxidation when salt is a catalyst. I do think, perhaps even by happenstance, the metallurgists at Birmabright, Ltd hit upon just an astounding combination of anti-oxidation properties. I wouldn't have taken the paint off the rest of the rover if those 6 year tests I performed weren't successful.

SafeAirOne
07-25-2012, 10:06 AM
As to glare from the polished aluminum, I've actually had the paint off the hood for 6 years, and in that time I've never once gotten glare from the hood that's affected my sight.

Doh!...I just read your previous post where you discussed this. I must have missed it earlier.

Your paintless rover looks pretty nice--I like it.

keydefender
10-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Very cool!

Now, I have no wish to hi-jack this thread, but I have a quick story to tell, some advice to offer, and many questions to ask....

We do not own an earlier Land Rover, however, we do own an Oxford Blue 1998 Range Rover 4.6 HSE which we LOVE!

Couple of years back we(Girlfriend and I) bought this...
A 1984 Airstream Classic 345 Motorhome...

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/sjkeysj/Airstream/DSC06157.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/sjkeysj/Airstream/DSC06156.jpg

Which currently looks like this...
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/sjkeysj/Airstream/006-12.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/sjkeysj/Airstream/002-16.jpg

So, we have a little polishing experience and knowledge...
Now I know you maybe dont want a super mirror finish, but WhiteRabbit is correct.... Airforums is where the knowledge is, even if you just was a medium level polish, which is what we want...
Lots of great info on polish, wax protection, etc.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/

The tool you need for a swirl and scratch free finish is a Cyclo Polisher...
This is mine..
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/sjkeysj/Airstream/DSC01526.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/sjkeysj/Airstream/DSC01527.jpg

We use a polish called Nuvite... it comes in various grades..

Now comes my questions...
We have been trying to figure out what we could buy(when we have saved up) to flat tow behind our Motorhome
We narrowed the search down to a smallish 4x4 in the 3000 to 4000lb weight band.

Then I had a brain storm because I remembered that Land Rovers were built from Aluminium... lol, I mean Aluminum!
So I Googled...
And found first this picture, and then this thread...
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/sjkeysj/Airstream/PolishedLR.jpg

So, can someone tell me what the above model and year it approx is?

Then I saw this...

Andrew IIA
10-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Nice airstream. The Rover looks pretty cool, but I think any blemishes would be greatly magnified by the polished surface. Anyway, my guess is that its a '97 D90 (late style door handles and roll up windows - the horror !). Lots of folks here will know better than me. Thanks for sharing.

o2batsea
10-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Gak!
Must go wash eyes

DanBaileyTribe
04-01-2014, 04:25 PM
LOVE your polished Series Rover and am very interested in trying this with our Defender 110. Do you know if the process would be about the same for Defenders as for Series?

The 110 is a 1988 was imported from UK recently and while it has an expensive looking, very beautiful gunmetal grey paint job, whoever painted it failed to prep it properly and there are strange bubbles and lumps under the paint so I'm kinda afraid to know what's under there if we decided to strip her. You said that any dings are actually less noticeable when bare, and I believe it since you don't really notice the dings in Airstreams because of the beauty of the polished aluminum. Will take a pic of the funky paint lumps, mostly on the rear side panels under the windows.

We have a 1959 Airstream and to have a matching polished pair would be incredible!

She looks gorgeous at a distance but up close you can see the paint job is kinda funky.

S11A
04-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Dan, I would guess the 110 would be very similar.

For the steel bits such as the bulkhead I would recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP5251-Finish-Chrome-Plus-11/dp/B000CPJLQM

It isn't really chrome like but is pretty close to a polished aluminum. Actually it is about as close to chrome as I have seen a spray paint but still... Like McLaren F1 silver so not too bad just chrome.

DanBaileyTribe
04-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Dan, I would guess the 110 would be very similar.

For the steel bits such as the bulkhead

Which other parts are steel vs. aluminum?

Dibsen
04-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Very cool polished rover! Got to admit, you got me thinking. haha

I hand painted mine a few years back when I first bought it because it was 4 different colors, plus the seller included a couple cans of rover paint.

Do you drive your rover in the bush? Here in Florida, I some times find myself trail blazing and my rough paint job has all the "pin stripping" to prove it. I was wondering how the bare alloy would stand up to that kind of harsh use.

chase223
06-05-2014, 07:35 PM
curious as to how you used the stripper as a polish? brush it on and let it dry? put it directly on steel wool?